Latex Mattresses - The Talalay Process
The sap of the tropical rubber tree is nature's source for natural latex. Derived from the hevea brasiliensis, or rubber tree, latex has inherent qualities that make it a great mattress material. Latex feels luxurious and resilient, it naturally conforms to the contour of the body for great support, and it's unique pinhole design and open-cell structure provides breathability through air circulation, while being heat and moisture resistant. The Talalay process, a unique and eco-friendly production method, transforms this green, renewable resource into latex foam.
Video Showing Talalay Process
The Talalay Process for Latex Mattresses
- Compounding - A combination of liquid latex, soaps and rubber curing agents get mixed together in a tank that is temperature controlled
- Molding - The compound is transferred to a pressroom where it's whipped into a froth, then injected into a pincore mold. The pins create an aerated cell structure in the latex. The mold is sealed and a vacuum pulls and extracts air and completely fills the mold cavity with foam. The foam is then chilled to a very cold temperature (below freezing). Freezing (unique to the Talalay process) helps prevent particles from settling and helps to ensure a consistent cell structure. CO2 is introduced to help 'gel' the foam. High heat is applied to cure the foam as the core is baked into a solid.
- Washing - Latex foam core is removed from the mold and placed (typically on a conveyor belt) that brings it through a washer, which removes soap and curing agent residuals using fresh water.
- Drying - The latex foam core is transported to a dryer, which completes the curing process and removes all moisture.
- Testing - Once dry, the latex foam core is tested for firmness consistency to meet standards.
- Fabrication - Cores are cut and constructed to meet latex mattress retailer's product specifications.
More by this Author
Learn the answers to the top questions this mattress expert gets on choosing a quality memory foam mattress. Get personally tested, recommended Amazon products too! Over a decade in the industry..
Mattress donation is a great way to help those in need, if your mattress is in good condition. Here you'll find a boatload of information on how to donate a mattress and improve the mattress you own.
From folding foundations to traditional box springs, a mattress expert reviews the best ways to support your memory foam or latex mattress.