Lemons-The Earth Friendly Cleaning Products
Green Tips for Using Lemons:
"When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade." - Dale Carnegie
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.” -Alfred E. Neuman
So to satisfy both quotes here are many versatile and green tips for the uses of lemons.
Lemons are a wonderous fruit that has many uses in recipes and around the house. Lemons have been used for over 1,000 years. It is believed to have originated in India. They are a citrus fruit and have a high amount of vitamin C content. Lemons are thought to have anitbacterial properties, are anticarcinogenic, and have antioxidant qualities. Because of its high acid content, lemons are great for many cleaning uses. Lemon juice is the strongest acid food in our homes which makes it a great all natural anti bacterial product.
Know How to Get The Most Juice Out of a Lemon
To get the most juice out of the lemons:
- Lemons are at their juiciest when they are kept at room temperature.
- To get more juice out of the lemon you can roll the lemon between both palms of your hands.
- You can also rub the lemon between the palm of your hand and the counter to circulate the juices.
- You can also microwave the lemon for a few brief seconds to increase the juices.
- Make a small hole in the lemon with a fork and squeeze out the juices. You can cover the holes with plastic wrap and refrigerate the lemon.
Lemons Have Many Uses As Earth Friendly Cleaning Products
LEMONS Part II
Lemons have so many more uses beyond food recipes and drinks.
- repel ants by pouring lemon juice in the area you see the ants roaming.
- room freshener by adding equal parts lemon juice and water to a spray bottle. It is a natuaral way to make your home smell nice.
- as a cleaner add equal parts lemon juice and water to clean your bath and walls. (always test an inconspicuous area t make sure it doesn’t ruin where you are using it) IT makes a much earth friendlier cleaning product than many of the harsh chemicals that are sold in stores.
- to avoid freshly cut apples, bananas, pears, avocados and guacamole from turning brown, sprinkle some lemon juice over the fruit just before you serve it.
- an easy way to clean and remove odors from your microwave is by heating a bowl of a small amount of water with several pieces of sliced lemon for about 30 to 60 seconds. Wipe out the microwave with a moist sponge or cloth and watch the stains disappear easily
- in your refrigerator leave a half of a cut lemon to neutralize odors
- for copper, chrome, and brass make a paste of baking soda and lemon juice and spread it on the metal. Rinse, wipe and buff with a paper towel or soft cloth
- toilet bowl cleaner by mixing a cup of lemon juice with ½ cup borax.
- lime scale can be removed by using a half of a cut lemon on sinks and faucets. Rinse and wipe for best results
- as a bleach substitute in the laundry use ½ cup of lemon juice in the rinse part of the cycle
- for fresher smelling clothes use a tsp of lemon juice in the wash
- dishes will come out better if you use a tsp of lemon juice to the dish soap to help cut grease on your dishes and pots.
- drain cleaner make an all natural and environmentally safer way to clean your by pouring baking soda and hot lemon juice down the sink, shower and tub. It is and earth friendly cleaning product and is even safe to use with septic tank systems.
- garbage disposal units will be fresher smelling when you throw the lemon peels down the disposal.
- make an eycatching centerpiece by filling a pitcher, bowl or vase with water and sliced lemons.
- rub lemon juice on your chopping board, let it sit over night and rinse to keep your chopping board fresh, as an anti bacterial, and clean and to keep away any odors. It is an all natural way to disinfect.
- Mirrors and glass will come out sparkling when you mix 4 tbls lemon juice and ½ gallon of water as an excellent and natural window cleaner
- to degrease use lemon juice directly on the grease
- cloths that have tea stains can fade if you mix equal amount of lemon juice with water. Using a q-tip or an eye dropper aim directly for the stain. Rinse with cool water
- furniture polish can be made by using 2 parts oil, olive or cooking, and 1 part lemon juice
- you can remove food stains from plastic containers by squeezing the juice over the stain, rub it in, let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse the container.
- to get cheese out of a grater rub both sides of the grater with the pulp from a lemon.
- to lighten hair use lemon juice with a damp cloth on your hair and sit in the sun for about an hour.
- as a hair conditioner use lemon juice and 1 cup of warm wter. Let it sit in your hair for a few minutes and rinse. If you tend to have a sensitive scalp this may not be for you.
- for stains on your finger nails you can rub on lemon juice to whiten up the surface.
- for your hands you can get the odors off from garlic, onions, and fish by rubbing both hands with lemon juice.
- for a sore throat take a half cut lemon and roast if over a medium flame on the stove until the peel turns a golden brownish. Let it cool and mix the juice with a tsp of honey and a small amount of hot water. Drink the warm mixture.
- If food is too salty, use some lemon juice to cut the salt. It works very well
Lemons have many uses in our homes, in our recipes, as disinfectants, and as cleaners. Think of all the uses for lemons when it comes to using products that are natural for the environment, especially when it comes to choosing earth friendly cleaning products. Reach for the lemons the next time you are cleaning.
More by this Author
The history of zippers is an interesting and important one. Zippers are used everyday by almost everyone, everywhere. Read how this functional invention became part of our ordinary clothing fashions.
We all get clogged drains, and they all have to be unclogged. Before you call a plumber read some easy and simple solutions to getting your drains unclogged, and how to prevent it from happening often
Personality, we all have it, yet it makes us different from each other. The study of personality and many theories have helped us gain a better understanding of ourselves and others.