How to Make Your Home Feel More Welcoming, Comfortable and Peaceful (even with Kids)
Interesting idea for making a welcoming door wreath:
For More information on family and home see:
We spend most of our time at home. When guests come we want them to feel comfortable and welcome. Amidst chaos caused children and pets, it can be difficult creating an atmosphere that is peaceful and welcoming. Here's a few simple suggestions.
Make Guests Feel Welcome
- Display a symbol of hospitality at the door. This can be as simple as a welcome mat placed before your door or a pot of petunias placed on your porch. Some people place wreaths on their door, and not just during ther Christmas season. Wreaths can be reflective of the season, or display the name of your family. Whatever you choose, display a symbol in your entryway to invite guests to enter your home.
- Make your home feel comfortable. When guests come to visit, make sure you have enough seating. If you do not have enough chairs, purchase folding chairs you can store away, or toss out some floor pillows; they can be quite comfortable for younger people.
- Create a sense of warmth: Throw an afghan on the back of couch or chair. If you have wood or tile floors, place rugs about to soften the feeling of the room.
Create a a Personal Connection
- Photos: Display photos of your family and friends or pictures taken on a favorite vacation. This provides a positive connection to you and may grab guests' attention.
- Furniture: An old cedar chest from mom, your child's rocking chair, these are examples of furniture. Perhaps the piece of furniture is still used, or it could be a display piece. Whatever you choose, choose something connected to you!
- Art: Whether it be a doily from your great aunt, or artwork made by your children, consider framing it and displaying in a prominent location in your home.
Encourage A Sense of Calm
- Plants: Even if you don't have a green thumb, you can still keep plants in your home. A cactus terrarium is low maintenance and easy to care for. If you're more ambitous, try a pot of African violets. Plants are healthy addition to any home.
- Fish: People feel calm and at peace when they watch fish; that's who doctors' waiting rooms usually have fish tanks. If you're not confident about mainaining a large tank, get a betta bowl. Bettas are very colorful.
- Prisms: Create rainbows on your wall. Hang a prism in your window, and as sunlight shines through, you'll see beautiful colors. Children really enjoy these.
Incorporating a few of these easy ideas into your decorating plan will help your guests feel comfortable and welcome in your cozy home.
More by this Author
Gentleness is a virtue, but one must work at being gentle. Gentle people are not weak or passive, rather they are kind. We should strive to be gentle because gentleness calms people and diminishes chaos. Steps to...
Elders, or senior citizens, are often unappreciated in the United States because our culture is very youth-oriented. We fail to appreciate our elders and recognize their wisdom and their sense of calm. Parents,...
Being a good neighbor helps develop a sense of community. A good neighbor helps others and is respectful, and good neighbors enrich our lives.