Making Rain Barrels The Easy Way
Whether it’s plastic made or a wooden rain barrel type, rain collector equipment like this can be a true blessing for many people (not just for gardeners). It’s always good to know that you’ve got fresh rain water that you can instantly use on your garden. You can learn a few more tips on making rain barrels and how it can work for you at home. Read on below to know how to set-up one.
- Rain Barrels for Sale
Using water conservation products like rain barrels and garden watering systems like tree gator can definitely help in your water conservation efforts. Catching rain using a rain barrel, harvesting it and using am automatic plant watering system like
What can you use Rain Barrels for?
Aside from using collected rain water for watering your garden, you can also use this to wash your pets, or even wash your car. You can also use this to clean-up your livestock (if you have some), or use this for other household means (you can even use this to flush the toilet).
Prepare Your Materials
To make your own rain barrel, you’re going to have to get yourself a clean trash can. This can be recycled or bought from a home depot. You’ll also need downspout parts that are bendable, as well as a sharp knife. You’re going to have to use this to cut holes for the water access of the overflow, downspout, and hose hook-ups.
Aside from these, you’ll also need a drill since you’ll need to make a few holes on your diy rain barrel. You’ll also need pvc couplings, a brass faucet, a sealant (can be silicone), and some pipe superglue. Also prepare a screen using mesh material, as you’ll place this on top of your barrel. This will help strain the rain water from all other objects that may come with it.
- Worm Composting: Harvesting Worm Castings
When worm composting, harvesting your worm castings has always been rewarding. There are many methods in harvesting your hard...
- Making a Compost Bin from a Trash Can
If you happen to be interested in composting but has limited space in the house to even do it, what would then be a good solution for this? Well, you can always decide into making a compost bin from...
- Using the Compost Tumbler for Easy Composting
For your composting needs, you can always choose to use a compost tumbler or bin. But if you want faster results, then use a compost tumbler instead. So, to know more about this interesting take on...
Constructing a Rain Barrel
You can start setting-up your rain barrel construction with your materials and with these easy steps:
- Clean your barrel using organic stuff only (should have no chemical content in them), and have it elevated using bricks or blocks.
- Drill a hole on the top portion of the barrel (for the overflow water entry).
- Drill a hole on the base portions of the barrel, about 6 inches from the base (this is where you’ll attach the faucet).
- With the use of your pvc couplings, Teflon tape, sealant, attach the spigot on to the barrel.
- As soon as everything’s secured, position your barrel beneath the rooftop downspout; you’re going to have to use a rain barrel downspout, and have this attached on the barrel’s top hole, and rooftop downspout.
- After this installation, you’re done! Wait for the rain to come so that you can start collecting some more fresh rain water.
Make a Quick Purchase as an Alternative
If you’re not really up an about with making rain barrels, then you can always opt to buy rain barrel kits or just some parts of it, if you find setting-up your own a difficult thing to do. You have the option to purchase a variety of rain barrels for sale at a local home depot near you.
More by this Author
Have you been planning to start vermicomposting but just can't think why you need to? You need to read about the advantages and the benefits you get from worm composting.
The life cycle of earthworms is a very interesting natural process. Read all about how worms turn from a tiny egg into wriggly hardworking creatures.
Want to grow a nightcrawler worm farm? These helpful ideas will help get you started!
No comments yet.