Mold and Mildew Removal Using Hydrogen Peroxide

Remove mold and mildew to restore a healthy environment.
Remove mold and mildew to restore a healthy environment. | Source


Your medicine cabinet houses an inexpensive and hard hitting mold and mildew remover. Hydrogen peroxide is typically available as a 3 percent solution sold in pharmacies. 6 percent hydrogen peroxide is used in beauty salons, 30 percent hydrogen peroxide is found at medical supply stores for medical uses and some health food stores carry 35 to 50 percent grades. If you use greater than a 3 percent solution, wear gloves, eye protection and a respirator. Many homeowners have found hydrogen peroxide makes a perfect substitution for chlorine bleach. Some people cannot use chlorine bleach due to their sensitivity to chlorine and require an alternative that will be an effective mold and mildew killer.

Removing Shower Mold and Mildew

Mold and mildew thrive in a warm, damp environment making the shower or tub surround the perfect place to flourish. Mold and mildew typically attach to porous grout and caulked corners rather than the smooth face of tile or fiberglass where it cannot form a tight grip.

Mix equal amounts of water and 30 percent hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Mix only enough that you will be able to use right away because the mixture loses its effectiveness when stored.

Liberally spray the mold and mildew on white or light colored grout or in corners and other areas where you have mold and mildew.

Let the mixture sit for 45 to 60 minutes.

Generously spray the mold and mildew a second time with the hydrogen peroxide and water mixture.

Dip an old toothbrush or other soft bristle brush into the mixture and scrub away the mold and mildew.

If mold and mildew stains remain, dip a cotton swab into undiluted hydrogen peroxide and dab at the stains. Let the hydrogen peroxide sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Wet the toothbrush or soft scrub brush with undiluted hydrogen peroxide and scrub the stains.

Do not use hydrogen peroxide on dark colored grout because the hydrogen peroxide will lighten the color.

As a side bonus, if you have white grout that looks dingy and dirty regardless of how much scrubbing you do, spray all the grout lines with the 50-50 mixture and let it sit and whiten the grout. Rinsing is not necessary.

Removing Mold and Mildew from Basement Walls

Typically large basement mold and mildew cover large areas and can be toxic if left to thrive. Whenever you are addressing mold and mildew in a basement or other area of the house, find the source of the water that is promoting the growth and the necessary action to correct the water problem or the mold and mildew will return. Take proper precautions including wearing rubber gloves, safety goggles and a mold and mildew filtering respirator.

Fill a spray bottle halfway with a 35 percent hydrogen peroxide solution and add water to fill the remainder of the bottle.

Generously spray the moldy areas. Do not scrub at this point because you will release live mold spores into the air where they will settle on other surfaces and grow.

Let the solution sit on the mold and mildew for 30 to 45 minutes and then spray again. Continue to spray the mold and mildew, wait 30 to 45 minutes until you’ve repeated the pattern at least six times.

After the final spraying, wet a rag with the solution and wipe the walls to remove mold and mildew stains. Spray the walls again if any stains remain.

Scrub the mold and mildew off the surface with a scrub brush.

Consider painting the basement walls with a mold and mildew inhibiting paint and primer.

More by this Author

  • How To Remove Pine Sap From Linoleum Floors
    1

    Linoleum floors are a great flooring option inside of a home. Linoleum comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns that can fit into your decorating needs. Linoleum stands up very well to high traffic. Linoleum...


Comments 5 comments

alipuckett profile image

alipuckett 4 years ago

Interesting! Usually, you hear about using bleach or vinegar to remove mold, but I had no idea you could use peroxide too. Great tip!


Escapes profile image

Escapes 4 years ago Author

Yes, you can! Hydrogen peroxide is highly effective and is a great whitener.


davesnell profile image

davesnell 4 years ago from 5437 Cedarmint Drive, Charlotte, N.C. 28227

Wow "HYDROGEN PEROXIDE" as mold and mildew remover. Glad to learn something new. Handy tips. Thanks Escapes for sharing the prevention tips.


tirelesstraveler profile image

tirelesstraveler 4 years ago from California

Spectacular hub! I have been plagued by mold allergies and the bleach makes everything worse. I will try this immediately.


Escapes profile image

Escapes 4 years ago Author

Using bleach does make things worse for allergy sufferers.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working