Moving Day the Easy Way
It’s finally here! The big day you’ve been waiting for. After all the planning, finding the perfect location and saving, you’ve chosen the place you will call home. As you begin to survey all the household furnishings accumulated over the years you suddenly get a sickening dreadful feeling in your stomach. Moving day is approaching and procrastination is no longer an option. You now must decide how you will transfer the contents of your dwelling. Could renting moving equipment be a viable solution?
Here are 7 helpful tips that will make renting moving equipment a great experience:
1. Do not linger – The earlier you reserve rental equipment (appliance dollies, carpet shampoo machine, etc.) the more likely you will get all the items you need the date you need them and save money.
2. Quality Boxes – It’s best not to move your valuables in used boxes from the local supermarket. Most companies that rent moving equipment can also supply you with clean sturdy boxes and packing supplies and this usually doesn't cost much at all.
3. Rent the right hand truck - Standard size hand trucks are very effective for your boxes. It is advisable that you use larger size hand trucks for appliances (refrigerator, stove, washing machine). This transport method will also spare the toll you will put on your back from moving items by hand.
4. Protect your furnishings – Rent furniture pads or blankets to cover your furniture and other bulky items that can easily move around and be damaged during the drive. Equipment rental companies will have a good supply of coverings to select from.
- Renting for your Move
Our rental catalog includes a variety of party & wedding supplies, contractor equipment, landscaping supplies, moving equipment & more! We also offer propane refills, party and wedding planning & repairs.
- Moving Checklist | Real Simple
You may not be able to move mountains, but you can plan an organized move with a little help from this step-by-step guide.
- Home Moving Tips | HGTV
Make a home move and moving day go as smoothly as possible with these tips from HGTV.
- 33 Moving Tips That Will Make Your Life So Much Easier
So you found a new place! It's all wonderful and exciting until you start to think about how much crap you have...
5. Consider the distance – If you are relocating to another town, city or state you will want to consider renting a car dolly. This will allow you to tow your car behind the rented moving truck. You will avoid putting unnecessary miles on your car and the clear benefit is saving gas and money.
6. Rent the right size truck – Avoid the costly mistake of renting a small moving truck because of the tempting lower price. Most rental companies charge a daily rate plus mileage. Making unanticipated extra trips to complete the move will not only be exhausting but will inflate the final bill. Be smart and ask the rental company associate for assistance and a general guide to determine what size truck is right for you.
7. Rent the right tools – Using a high powered cordless screwdriver will ease the task of assembling and disassembling dining tables, beds, etc. Be sure you have a good selection of flat-head and Phillips driver bits.
As one final note, avoid the “do it yourself” motto and ask for help! Alert friends and family of the moving date you have scheduled. This will eliminate the need to hire contracted movers and allow you to cash in on overdue favors. Taking group pictures and providing food and beverages for your helpers will make the work more pleasant. It will also show your appreciation and make the move a day to remember.
More by this Author
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.
Depending on the environment in which your furnace operates, most HVAC companies recommend all filters be changed at least twice a year. If your home is located in an area with a lot of dust or dirt, you may want to...
countertop There are many different types of stone countertops that are offered on the market. One of the most popular nowadays is limestone. In the past couple of years, limestone has become an increasingly popular...