No More Smelly Stinky Sponges

Cleaner, fresher smelling sponges

Admit it. You're just about finished rinsing off some dishes before putting them in the dishwasher or wiping down the counter and before you get a chance to wring out the sponge real well, the phone rings, the kid needs help with homework, or one of the million and one things that happen a day to a busy mom happens and before you know it, you come back and the sponge is slimy and smells. It's not something that most people want to admit to, but, I have a quick and easy solution for when that happens.

First off, put some hot water in the sink and squirt some dish soap. You don't need a lot, just enough to make the water a bit soapy. Then squeeze it several times to wash it out. Then, drain the water, making sure to squeeze out all excess water from the sponge. Then, simply pour a cap full or two of hydrogen peroxide (you know, the brown bottle in the medicine cabinet that probably expired 2 years ago because you hardly ever use it?) onto the sponge and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse with warm water. That icky, smelly sponge should now smell fresh and clean with no funky odor.This works on sponges, dish rags or any small cloth type items that get musty or smelly and can be washed.

Just a warning, hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent, so if you're not sure if it's safe to use on your sink, just put the sponge in a plastic container before putting the hydrogen peroxide on it.

What I really like about this process instead of using bleach is that I have asthma and I'm not inhaling any of the vapors or the scent of bleach. Other people suggest microwaving a damp sponge in the microwave for a minute. I haven't done that because I don't like the thought of that musty smell getting in my microwave and possibly wafting through the house. I've also washed them in the washing machine, but I've had the green scrubby part come apart and get all over the other things I was washing and the sponge becomes misshapen if you put it in the dryer. At least mine did. The hydrogen peroxide is by far the easiest, cleanest solution I've come across.

So, if you have a sponge that is otherwise in great shape, but just has a nasty odor, don't throw it in the trash. Just use that hydrogen peroxide that you'd probably be tossing out at spring cleaning time anyway.

Comments 1 comment

Tammie 6 years ago

I had that problem once and tried soaking it over night then drying it, soaked in bleach and nothing worked. Then one day I decided to pour a little mouthwash in it and it worked. No more smell!!

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working