Over 100 ways to use baking soda
what is Baking soda?
It's sodium bicarbonate, and it comes from a mineral called natron.
Baking soda, otherwise known as bicarbonate of soda, sodium bicarbonate, and, less commonly, saleratus, is a chemical salt with diverse practical uses. With a chemical formula of NaHCO3, baking soda is a white powder with crystalline grains. Although it can be produced by artificial means, in its natural form, baking soda is called nahcolite, taking its name from its chemical formula.
Baking soda is weakly alkaline. It acts to neutralize acids and break down proteins. This quality accounts for its usefulness as a tenderizer and a leaven. Also, it is baking soda’s neutralizing action on acidic scent molecules that makes it an effective deodorizer. Added to the water when doing laundry, baking soda stabilizes the pH level, enhancing the detergent’s effectiveness. Baking soda may also be added to swimming pool water to balance the pH and keep the water clear.
Scientists consider baking soda a type of salt. It's most widely known function is for baking, because it reacts with other chemicals to releases carbon dioxide, which makes dough rise. Of course it has many uses other then for cooking; It can serve as an antacid, or to treat industrial acid spills, and it's used in dry- powder fire extinguishers. It is also an ingredient in paper and ceramics.
Baking soda which has been around since the mid 1800’s has been forgotten in modern everyday use. With the great price and hundreds of uses it’s a wonder more people aren’t stocking their shelves with this stuff. In the past 70 years or so we have been so bombarded with commercial products contains harmful chemicals. We have forgotten the simple, the cheap and easy remedies. Below is the list of over 100 ways to use baking soda I recommend using them all, you will save so much money you won’t believe it. Just by using baking soda you could practically eliminate all your cost for cleaner, shampoo’s soaps, deodorizers and so much more. Save time and money use Baking soda.
Use baking soda in and around the kitchen and Bathroom
- Use to scrub pots and pans
- Stove top and counters
- Mix four tablespoons of baking soda with a quart of warm water, and use it to clean the inside part of an oven
- Wipe out fridge and leave an open box or bowl full to deodorize
- Polish stainless steel and chrome
- Cooking, many recipes call for baking soda
- Cooking substitute, use baking soda mixed with cornstarch instead of baking powder
- Soak fish or wild game before cooking to remove fishy smells and unwanted taste
- Make your own sports drink mix with boiled water, salt and Kool-aid
- Fluffier omelettes add ½ teaspoon for every 3 eggs
- Wash fruits and vegetable with it
- A small amount added to the soaking water of beans will hasten the softening and cooking processes and reduce the beans’ propensity to cause flatulence in the eater.
- Baking soda is an effective meat tenderizer. It can be added to stews or rubbed directly on a cut of meat, and then rinsed off before cooking, to make the meat more tender
- Put under stinks and in basements to repel ants an cockroaches
- Remove crayon marks from vinyl floors
- Sprinkle in toilet let sit for 1 hour, flush away stains and odour, scrub if necessary
- Sinks, counter, spray on mirrors and walls
- Add to laundry for brighter whites and cleaner colors, make a scrub for tough stains
- Clean garbage cans and sprinkle in bottom to deodorize
- Clean plastics and porcine and even marble with it
- Wash out baby bottles, and plastic juice containers
- Pour some baking soda into a drain and add vinegar to help clear drain build up and prevent clogging
- Reduce acidity in your tomato sauce, or coffee while brewing
- Natural Beautification: Body Wax | BeyondJane
With all the commercial waxes out there it’s hard to believe there is actually a natural way to get rid of unwanted hair. In fact the recipe is so simple and easy it a wonder I hadn’t known about it sooner.
- If You’re Gonna Wash Your Face, Do it Right | HealthMad
Ways to wash your face and have nice skin naturally.
Baking soda for Personal hygiene and health
- Brush teeth for whiter cleaner teeth, helps kill bacteria
- Make a paste for dry skin, irritations and bug bites
- Make your own deodorant, 1.2 cup baking soda, ½ cup cornstarch. A few drops of essential oils such as lavender or cinnamon, maybe cedar or sage for men. Put all in glass jar, shake and blend well. Sprinkle light cover on damp washcloth and pat on, do not rinse/
- Or sprinkle baking soda over powder puff and pat on dry
- Washing hair, use thin paste to clean product residue build up and pollution, wash after as usual/
- Or add 1 teaspoon directly to shampoo bottle was as usual
- Antifungal, use in shoes and socks
- Antacid, take with water …Note: Those taking prescription medications or following a reduced-sodium diet should check with a physician before consuming baking soda.
- Body scrub, apply some to damp cloth wash skin and rinse as usual
- Put in bath to soften skin
- Relief sun burns, make a paste with water
- Makes a great hand scrub to remove tough odours, grease and stains
- Great for rashes due to poison ivy and other skin allergic reactions
- 2 tbsp in babies bath to help diaper rash.
- Heart burn, 1 tsp mixed with ½ cup water
- Gargle to relieve canker sores
- Bee stings and jellyfish stings, use paste to pull out venom
- Use to relieve windburn
- Add a teaspoon to vaporizer to relief stuffy nose
- Soak brushes and combs
- Clean retainers and dentures
- Use for cradle cap on infants, use thin watery mixture
- 1 Tbsp mixed with about 32 oz. water is good for alleviating pain from a urinary tract infection. Neutralizes the acid of the urine and helps prevent kidney infections
- If your pet or yourself has been sprayed by a skunk bathe in tub with baking soda apparently it totally takes the smell out
- Facial wash for acne breakouts( not recommended for open wounds…may sting) Use moisturizer immediately after.
More uses for baking soda
- Use to deodorize carpets, garbage cans, shoes, litter boxes, ashtrays
- Vacuum up some baking soda to kill odours in the vacuum bag
- Great for pet cages and pets with dust baths, helps prevent and rid of bacteria… ask you vet or animal care professional first…
- Keep cut flowers fresh add teaspoon to water
- Put out small fires on rugs clothing, wood
- Air freshener, mix soda with scented bath salts hand in sachet bags around the house, in drawers and closets
- Use on pet brushes to help deodorize fur and skin
- Mix a little baking soda with water, then apply the mixture to a corroded auto battery terminal - the corrosion will be dissolved and can then be washed away
Even more ways to use baking soda
- Try using baking soda to make clay for your kids, add 1-2 tablespoons to 1 cup cornstarch to 1 ¼ - 1/ ½ cups of water
- Fun for science, try making an exploding volcano, See link http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/buildavolcano.htm
- Top 5 home remedies for sunburns, bug bites, poison ...
Bee stings and other bug bites Ouch another insect bite, man what a pain....I love summer but hate the pain that comes with it, mosquitoe bites, spider bits, and Bee stings. Usually if you get biten or stung you will get a nasty itchy bump,you may...
- How to Remove Stains | Gomestic
Over 25 ways to safely and cheaply remove unwanted stains. Green and Eco- friendly laundry tips and advice.