Portable Air Conditioner Guide for Beginners
Introduction to Portable Air Conditioners
Portable air conditioners are becoming very popular with many individuals who live in areas that don't have central air, but maybe live in an environment where one is still useful. There are many places where a person may not have central air, but they also don't have the ability to use a window unit. In this situation there are basically two simple choices: find a quality portable air conditioner or to simply deal with it. The second choice isn't going to be very appealing for most of us, so that leaves the common sense, but possibly still very intimidating, option of picking out a quality portable air conditioner, something that may be very difficult for a wide number of people, especially considering how many consumers have never even heard of one of these machines until recently.
Portable Air Conditioner PicsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Portable Air Conditioners via Amazon
Beginner's Guide to Portable Air Conditioners
Portable Air Conditioners: The FAQ
There are many common questions that individuals have when looking to purchase a portable air conditioner, but unfortunately many of these questions are not answered by the many sites that sell them. So I've put together this guide from talking to experts to try to help answer some of the most common questions that may come up about these appliances.
- What's the difference between regular units and portable units? Portable AC units don't have to be put into a window. They are either self contained, or have a hose that goes out a window to take care of condensation (the hose models are most effective).
- How do I vent hot air? Any good portable AC kit will have a window and venting unit included to pump hot air out of the room, and shoot out cooler air into the room.
- Are they sturdy? Portable AC units are tested rigorously to take a beating, and are just as stable as normal window AC units. Plus there's the added bonus of there being no chance of an accidental accident with the unit falling out of a window.
- Do they collect water? They do, but the window venting system is more than enough to handle it. Some portable air coolers (not the same as air conditioners) are self sustained and don't need to be changed out very often.
- What's the effectivenss? This depends on the model, the brand, and the area being cooled, but many of the best portable air conditioning units are more than good enough for the average needs.
- Is an air cooler or air conditioner better? These are 2 different things, but they can somewhat easily be told apart by whether or not they have a hose system. The actual air conditioners have a hose system to be attached with the window. The air cooler does not. The majority of the time, the air conditioner will be the better choice.
Are Portable Air Conditioners Reliable?
Portable air conditioners are very similar to window AC models in that reliability depends most on the model of the AC unit, and the reputation of the company who produces them. As a whole, these are not flimsy appliances. They often weight 50-85 pounds and are designed to take a beating just like any other appliance in the house or apartment. Cheaper models tend to work less well than more advanced models, just like with the window units. So if your main concern with buying a portable AC unit is reliable, as long as you don't cheap out you should be able to find one that suits you. JUST REMEMBER: Air coolers and air conditioners are not the same thing. You want the actual air conditioner.
More by this Author
Getting rid of slugs from your garden is no easy task, and these guys can do a lot of damage. They're hard to spot during the day and tend to come out at night when the moisture and dew make it easier for them to...
Bigger is always better, right? When it comes to writing desks, think again. While sometimes the right bit of office furniture is a large desk that takes up two walls, there are many times when a small writing desk...
Ever wonder what it is like to live in Alaska? Alaska life can be amazing, adventurous, and strangely familiar at the same time. Read on to learn about my firsthand experiences living in Alaska!