25 Natural Household Problem Solutions To Save You Time
Get Ready To Discover Natural Ways To Fix Household Problems
Hold on to your hat my friends! You're about to find natural solutions for a great many problems in your home. These handy tips will delight and surprise you. Best of all, you'll save time and love how easy these 25 natural household solutions are.
No More Moldy Bread
To keep bread from molding, place a clean dry paper towel under the bread in its original bag when storing it.
Do Your Part - Use Environmentally - Friendly Products For Cleaning
When I was a young homemaker I would have given anything to have a notebook full of tips on hand to help me with cleaning and household problems. About all I had back then was "Heloise." And of course PC's were still in the future My mother would often come to my rescue with tips used by my grandmother. These tips are still used today with great results.
In fact when you use natural products for cleaning and other problems you are doing your part to help keep our planet clean.
With today's hectic pace and never enough hours in a day to complete everything, good useful problem solving tips around the house is in demand more than ever. We want quick and efficient results. We also want to spend little to nothing for these miracle products.
With society being more environmentally aware of toxins and chemicals, the more natural, the better. I put the word out to my relatives and friends as well as using my own collection of handy hints and this is what I've come up with.
May your answer to a cleaning prayer be discovered here - the natural way.
Solutions For Frustrating House Problems
These mind-blowing tips are some of my personal favorites. I think you'll find them helpful too:
- Got holes in your white walls? Simply dab a small amount of white, non-gel toothpast into the hole and you'll never notice it again. Honest!
- Protect your walls from cracks. My daddy taught me this one. Before you drive a nail into the wall, place a piece of tape over the spot and you'll avoid cracking the wall.
- Peppermint for those pesty pests. I've been using this tip for several years and love it. Plant mint close to your home (it grows rapidly and everywhere.) Mice, moles, rats, gophers and squirrels are just some of the annoying critters that will stay away.
- Weird smells in your car? This is one of my favorite tips. Just take a sheet of fabric softener, place a couple under the seats and in the trunk. Mmmmmm.
- Mosquitoes. Speaking of fabric softener, to keep mosquitoes at bay, stick a sheet of bounce fabric softener in your pocket, sleeve or shoe and they will leave you alone.
- Here's how to ice-proof your windshield. Mix one part water to three parts white vinegar and spray on the windshield generously. It will keep your windshield ice free.
Goodbye to Rough Lips
You can get rid of dead skin on your lips with this all-natural exfoliating rub made from ingredients in your own kitchen.
Mix a drop of sesame or olive oil with brown sugar. Rub the delicious mixture gently over the lips to remove flacky skin.
Finsh by applying a small amount of petroleum jelly to the lips.
Got Stains? Surprising Tips For Stains
Use what you have right in you kitchen to remove stains.
- Remove gum. Take a piece of ice and rub on the gum until it hardens. Gently remove the gum with a dull knife and launder.
- To remove ketchup or tomato stains. First remove the excess with a dull knife, then dab with a damp, warm sponge. (This next step sounds wrong, but it's not.) Apply a little bit of shaving cream to the stain and let it dry. Then wash as usual.
- Too much mustard? Check the fabric to make sure it's colorfast, then apply a small amount of hydogen peroxide to the stain and let set for a few minutes. Wash immediately.
- What to do if you stain clothing from cooking oil (any kind.) Wash in regular shampoo. (Avoid buit in conditioner.)
- Old or unknown stains. Run down to the closest health food store (or go on-line) and pick up vegetable glycerin. Apply some to the stain, let it set for about an hour and then launder.
- Removing rust stains. First wet the spot with lemon juice, then sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand in direct sunlight for 30 to 45 minutes. Wash the garment and the stain is gone.
- Wine stains. There are several ways to remove wine stains. This is one I like. First blot (don't rub) the stain with a mixture of one part dishwashing liquid and two parts hydrogen peroxide. If that doesn't lift the stain, then apply a paste made from water and cream of tartar and let is sit for a while before washing.
Cleaning drains with natural products
A Few Tips To Make Life Easier
Fix a stuck zipper by rubbing lip gloss directly on the zipper. And if you have a lead pencil handy, just rub the zipper with the lead from the pencil.
- To help a zipper stay closed, grab a can of hairspray, zip up the zipper and spray lightly with the hairspray.
- You can also use a bar of soap to keep a zipper sliding nicely. Rub the end of the bar lightly across the zipper.
- Oh, those black scuff marks. Well they will be gone is you use lemon juice or rubbing alcohol on them
- To keep towels looking like new - add a cup of salt to the washing machine when they're new. The salt will set the colors so the towels won't fade as quickly.
- Save on dishwashing liquid. Buy the cheapest brand then add a few tablespoons of white vinegar to the water while you wash. Those dishes will shine. I also do this with my dishwasher. My silverware and glasses are sparkling clean.
Housework is something you do that nobody notices until you don't do it. ~Author Unknown
Will You Be Using Natural Cleaning Solutions Now?See results without voting
White Vinegar - A Natural Alternative To Commercial Products
Use White Vinegar (distilled) to:
- Remove mildew
- Cut grease
- Remove wax build-up
- Certain stains
- Remove mineral deposits from shower heads
- Clean and polish chrome
- Remove stickers from glass, plastic or wood
- Whiten grout (just use an old toothbrush)
- Remove rust from tools other items. (Let item set for 30 minutes)
Really Weird Tips That Work Well
I can still picture my mother peeling onions with a piece of bread in her mouth, right between her teeth. She claimed it would prevent crying while the onion was being peeled. Try it. It really works.
I'm a candle lover (soy or beeswax ). For any type of candle, if you place it in the freezer for 3 hours before burning it, it will last much longer. Who knew?
Speaking of freezing, get this. If you freeze your pantyhose before wearing them chances are they won't run. The cold strengthens the fibers. Do this with a new pair.
Welcome to the 2 minute face lift. To make a simple yet effective face mask only 2 ingredients are needed which are both in your kitchen. Grab an egg and using just the yolk and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, whip up using a wire whisk and apply directly to the face. After rubbing it in, leave on for 2 minutes. Rinse gently with cool water. You'll feel a tightening that will leave your skin feeling refreshed and glowing.
I hate it when my tupperware and other plastic containers are left with that ugly stain caused from tomato based sauces. Listen up. To prevent this, spray the inside of the container with non-stick cooking spray.
I'm not going to vacuum until Sears makes one you can ride on. ~Roseanne Barr
Uses for baking soda
Bonus Tip - How to Open Plastic Container Wraps
My biggest pet peeve used to be trying to open a bag of potatoe chips. All that has changed with the invention of the dreaded plastic container wraps that incase everything from toys to makeup and more.( You're gonna love me for this tip.) Ready? Instead of struggling with a knife, hammer, screwdriver or blow torch, use a can opener to release the contents.
Note: Always use caution when preparing any combination of ingredients around children and pets. When removing stains choose a safe, well ventilated area.
Set aside a certain day and time to begin using some of the tips you find here. Sadly, I have procrastinated in the past using one excuse or another. And if I let an old stain sit too long, it's so much more difficult to remove.
Parents can use these tips as a teachable moment for their children. (Be sure any chemicals you use are safe.) Letting kids help, teaches them about responsibility. It can be fun too. Kid's can use a tip or two for "share time" in school, demonstrating a quick tip.
Make these tips count by using them. Share the ones you like with others. There's no value in aquiring these gems if they are never going to be used. So plan a time to gather up a small stack of items that need to be attended to and give a few of these tips a try.
What is your favorite tip? Share in the comment section below and thanks.
Links of Interest ~
Additional Tips To Make Life Easier
- To Keep or Not To Keep - Food In The Fridge
How long does lettuce last in the frig? Is it safe to eat expired food? Find out whether to keep refrigerated food, or throw it out. Food safety hints.
- When Life Gives You Lemons Try These Useful Tips
Lemons are an amazing tool for cleaning, sanitizing and healing a sore throat. As you read "When Life Gives You Lemons...Try These Useful Tips," you'll be surprised to learn all that this valuable fruit can do.
© 2012 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Nothing can compare with the look and feel of real leather. But some of the imitations come mighty close. Knowing how to maintain the softness and keep your suede clean will assure you longer enjoyment of this marvelous...
These tips, provide the reader with a light and enjoyable way to get rid of annoying pests. Find a new use for Bounce fabric softener, peanut butter and baking soda. Goodbye Mosquitos, Wasps, Ants, Bugs.
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.