1. Right click to save your pic 2. Print out your pic 3. Cut out your pic 4. Trace your pic onto your plastic 5. Cut out plastic 6. PaintClick thumbnail to view full-size
I love to label my garden plants with the name of the plant as soon as I plant them in my garden so I do not forget what plant is in certain areas. It is hard to remember what you planted where unless they are marked. Many seedlings, little plants can look similar so marking them helps. I like to recycle as well so when you put the two together it's a win win situation. I love to make Plant Markers.
You can recycle anything plastic to use for your garden markers, I have used milk jugs, laundry jugs, juice bottles, soft drink bottles of any size, plastic food containers or even plastic bags, thicker plastic drop cloths or even sheet plastic window installation. Like I said you can use any plastic you want to make your markers because plastic is water proof.
Making Plant Markers
It is very simple to make your own markers below is a list of things you may need.
1. Some type of plastic to make the shape of what ever crop you are marking. For example: Peas, Green Beans or Cucumbers you get the idea. Any item you wish.
2. Make sure of the size you want to make your markers. The size you want them to be will dictate what size of plastic you need to make your marker. The large green laundry jugs would work great for watermelon. You can decide if you want the size to be relative to the crop. For instance a watermelon is a lot bigger then a pea pod. You do not have to make them relative in size if you do not want to but I like doing it this way it makes them look really neat.
3. Now you need to have something to mount the marker on to once you get it made. Like a Popsicle stick, a dowel rod, a recycled clothes hanger.
4. You will need paint to make your markers colorful and more life like. You can do your markers any way you wish if you do not want to paint that's up to you. I like to paint mine to look like the real fruit or vegetable. It is a lot of fun and they are very cute I even had some one ask me one time where I bought my garden markers. Yet another perk to making your own markers they are one of a kind.
5. You will need glue to secure your marker. I like hot glue gorilla glue or any weather proof glue will work.
6. You will need a pair of pliers to help you bend the wire into the shape you wish to use. You may want to wear gloves as well to save your hands from getting sore.
7. You need a pattern of what ever marker you wish to make.I usually make my own but there are a few that are a bit more of a challenge to draw you can use some of the patterns at the bottom of this page if you wish.
How To Make Garden Markers
1. Decide on what marker you want to make first.
2. Take your pattern or draw your own and trace it on to the plastic you want to use.
3. Cut your your pattern out with a pair of sharp scissors.
4. Using your pliers to bend your recycled hanger the shape of your pattern.
5. Using the glue of your choice, you want secure your plastic shape onto your hanger shape. Make sure you glue the back size and seal your plastic shape on the front side with glue as well. I like to use hot glue or Gorilla glue to make a bit of dimension on the front side of the marker. If you want to you can make a double sided marker as well just trace a second piece of plastic and glue it to the back side.
6. Once your glue is dry you can now paint your marker.
7. Once your marker is dry you can secure it to your stick or hanger. There are a few ways to do this. If you are making a double sided marker you can glue the stick or straightened hanger to your marker before you glue the second side onto your marker. You could also use duct tape to tape it to the back side if you are making a single sided marker. You can paint the tape to match if you wish. I find either way the markers will last about 2 growing seasons before they need repair.
More by this Author
If nothing else I could only hope to empower & inspire those who feel hopeless to know they are not alone and there are some things you can do on your own to help.
One of the easiest ways to change a room is to change something dramatic. I love to find diy projects around the house
Staph Infection left unchecked can be very Serious and even fatal. Here are a few tips on how to care for a staph infection and a brief explanation of what staph is
No comments yet.