Re-purpose old vent covers in your home! How much money can you save?
Old vent cover
Why spend money replacing when you don't have to?
When I bought my second home, it was a rehab project. We got a crazy deal, but wanted to save money as much as possible. This article covers how to easily re-purpose old vent covers in your home. We even redid the green 1970s laundry chute door, added a new $3 knob and it looks brand new. All you need is a little time, and some Rustoleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy paint. Since you have the option of various colors, there are endless metal surfaces you can renew. We even did our old mailbox in black and we love how it turned out!
You can also easily touch up the vents over time if they chip or wear out, but we have not had that issue in over a year.
Paint your basement floor with epoxy too!
- How to easily paint your basement floor blue or gray...
Not all DIY projects are difficult, and this one is easier than you could imagine. Paint your basement floor in a weekend and expand your living area! Add extra space, or even another family room.
What you'll need
- Screw drivers (flat or phillips) depending on what needs removed
- A wire brush
- Dawn soap, or TSP for cleaning
- Rustoleum specialty appliance paint (almond, white, black, or stainless steel-your choice!) The paint runs about $5 a can, and I did 6 covers with 1.5 cans
- A surface to work on that you don't mind getting over spray on
- A mask if you are sensitive to spray paint fumes
New vent cover
- Remove the vent or vents that will be painted
- Use the wire brush (Dawn soap or TSP) to scrub the vents as clean as possible
- Let the vents dry completely before painting! Very important!
- Set up your work space
- Spray the vents as directed on the spray paint
- Allow ample drying time and apply a second coat
- Once dry, reattach to the wall
New laundry door
Another new vent cover
Enjoy your new covers!
Now all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the extra money that has remained in your household!
© 2013 Rebecca
More by this Author
Fleas...disgusting, disease ridden, relentless breeding mini vampires. They are miserable to pets & humans. They also have the potential for illness and death. Here's how to destroy them!
Besides the kitchen and bath, the master bedroom has a very important function of a home. The "leaders" of the family rely on this room for rest and healing, a few changes can make a big difference
How easy is it to overdose on nicotine? Not as easy as one would think. Learn to recognize the warning signs and symptoms, as well as how to treat a potential overdose.
No comments yet.