Rolling Shutters or Rolling Window Coverings-A Cool Window Treatment
Rolling shutters are becoming a popular choice for homeowners, as well as schools and business owners.
If you are not familiar with a rolling shutter, it is similar to a sectional garage door where you can electronically raise and lower it, but it is fitted over the exterior of your windows and/or doors. Schools and businesses use them to shut down counters and concession stands and exterior openings as well. I've seen several gas stations, convenience stores, and computer stores use them on all of their exterior glass so that when they are closed they are completely sealed off from the outside world.
The ones that I have seen on local houses are quite attractive. The colors you chose really should match your trim to help provide a seamless look.
Benefits of Installing Rolling Shutters
There are many benefits to installing rolling shutters. They include:
- Save money on heating and cooling costs
- Create a better seal around doors and windows helping to eliminate drafts and energy loss
- Provide an extra level of security by creating a barrier between your home and intruders and the elements. Perfect for hurricane prone regions.
- Can be easily opened in case of fire or an emergency
- Can be used as shade or to reduce glare by partially opening them
- Can create a darker environment for day sleepers or children napping
- Some homeowners forego expensive draperies and indoor window treatments in favor of rolling shutters
- Reduces noise pollution
- Reduces fading of carpet, drapes and furniture
- Protects windows and doors from stray golf balls, baseballs, rocks from lawn mowers and other flying debris
- Allows windows to stay cleaner and more protected against sand and dirt pitting
- Reduces condensation
- Reduction in property insurance
- Attractive addition increasing the value of the home
Options to Consider
Rolling shutters vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I would recommend shopping around. Most websites do not publish their prices for several reasons. I think many wouldn't even consider them if they saw a figure they felt was too expensive and secondly, there are just too many factors for the installer to consider when quoting you a good price.
Some have a pull-strap system, some have manual gears and some have electric motors with remote controls. Your level of ease will be a factor in the price. Some can be put on a timer schedule to open and close at specific times. Some you can program to close if the wind speed exceeds a predetermined limit.
Some panels are insulated, some manufacturers do not have insulated panels.
For many, color choice is important.
If you're planning to build a new home, these would be handy to plan for from the beginning since adequate space is needed above the space you're covering to mount the unit that the shutters roll up into.
Cost versus benefit needs to be weighed on a case by case basis.
- Tucson Rolling Shutters - Tucson SunFix Screens - Tucson Solar Screen - Tucson Interiors
Tucson Rolling Shutters, Inc. manufactures the finest retractable products to improve the security, energy efficiency, comfort, and privacy of your home or business.
- All American Rolling Shutter - RollingShutter.com
More by this Author
As I sat down to write this hub, I've tried to recall how long ago it was that I went to my first Pampered Chef party. I have gone to two parties hosted by friends, one probably ten to twelve years ago, and the other...
Fun banana plant facts and tips for growing your own.
Looking for some last-minute Halloween costume ideas to wear to work? I have lots of cute ideas.