Seed Germination Methods - 3 Germination Tips
Growing plant from Seeds
The main reason for doing manual seed germination is to ensure you can rear the seeds into young seedlings in a controlled environment during the harsher months. I used just throw the seed in and hope for the best but it makes much harder to monitor growth if you can even locate where the heck your planted it in the first place.
I’ve tried many seed germination methods but I will go through the 3 germination methods I’ve had most success with. These include the paper towel method, rockwool method and the plain old regular seed germination method with quality soil. You can increase the success of seed germination by buying one of those small plastic greenhouses.
Paper Towel Seed Germination Method
The paper towel method is very simple all your need is a square of paper towel, water and a plastic zip lock bag or cling wrap and of course your seeds.
Paper Towel Method steps
- Rip off a square of decent quality paper towel ( something that can hold its shape when moist and not fall apart )
- Wet the paper towel under water and then squeeze out so its not dripping but moist.
- Place your seeds on the paper towel and fold paper towel over.
- Put folded paper towel in zip lock bag or cover in cling wrap
- Place on Windowsill
- Check progress in 3 – 5 days
Note: Its best to pull off the seeds earlier than later otherwise they become quite embedded into the paper towel and can become tricky to dislodge.
Rock Wool Seed Germination Method
Visit your local nursery or hydroponics store and pick up some small rockwool cubes, either with holes already made or without. Rockwool is often used for house insulation to reduce noise and prevent mold.
Safety Note – Its best not to breathe in the fumes from rockwool when it is dry, its very safe once it has been soaked in water for a little while.
Rock Wool steps
- Soak the rockwool for a few hours , longer if desired
- Make a hole with a toothpick or knife
- Drop the seed into the hold and push down to the end of the hole
- Place on your window ledge , and play the waiting game
- Works great for hydroponics system where u can use the rockwool throughout the process otherwise separating the young plant from the rockwool can be tough.
Regular Seed Germination Method
This is the regular one, and it just involves mixing some high quality potting mix with compost. You may think this method is totally hopeless but I’ve had lots of success with the regular method and following the specific seeds needs. Make sure you read the seed pack to check if soil needs to stay moist or watering is only required to seedling pops out.
I’ve had success growing mint form the seeds using this method, and if anyone has tried to germinate mint seeds before you’ll know it can be very tricky and you need to have the patience of a saint.
- Mix together 2/3 quality potting soil with 1/3 compost
- Add the seeds on the top then put a light layer of soil on top
- Gently pat down the soil so the seeds don’t move around
- Water occasionally if required
- Wait until seedling bursts out, can take quite some time. Took 2-3 weeks for my mint plant to show up was quite a wait.
Goodluck with germination:)
Favourite Germination Method?See results without voting
More by this Author
hand pollinate your plants , img ehow Pollination of plants usually occurs naturally in nature through weather conditions and with the help of bee’s wasps and other buzzing ultrasonic winged creatures, and some...
Great ecosystem, recirculating hydroponics system If you've ever setup a hydroponics system or running a system currently you will now how frustrating it can be waiting for plants to be ready for harvest so you can...
Three simple exercises to help you relax those muscles and help resolve your pelvic floor dysfunction. Gain control over your pelvic muscles with stretching and soft-tissue massage.