Different Table Appointments|Setting A Dining Table
Setting a dining table is almost as important as your food. It is not as difficult as it seems. An attractive table adds to the environment of a meal. In setting a dining table, you need a "place setting" (a spot where each item is placed) for each diner.
Place setting includes the following table appointments or any items used to set a table.
- dinnerware (cups, bowls, and plates)
- flatware (spoon, forks, and knives)
- glassware (all shapes and sizes)
- place mats or table cloths (optional)
Here is a basic set of rules for table setting. This can be used either in a formal or informal setting.
Where items should be placed...
- Plate, flatware, and napkin -- 1 inch from the edge of the table.
- Plate -- at the center of the place setting.
- Dinner fork -- at the left of the plate.
- Napkin -- should be either to the left of the fork, with the fold on the left, under a fork, or on top of the plate.
- Knife -- to the right of the plate with the sharp blade facing in towards the plate.
- Teaspoon -- to the right of the knife.
- If a soup spoon is needed, it is placed to the right side of the teaspoon.
- Soup bowl -- may be placed on the dinner plate.
- Drinking glass -- at the tip of the fork.
- If a salad plate is used, place it just above the tip of the fork.
- Cup or mug -- to the top right of the spoon.
To have a clear picture on table appointment of the dining table items, see the images on this hub - Different Styles of Table Setting.
You can do better in setting the table by remembering the following:
- Table should be clean. You can use table covering that serves as the background for the food and its appointments or you can leave the table bare. A table covering helps protect the table and muffles the noise of clanking glassware and dishes.
- Place mat or table cloths can be used for special occasions.
- Select flatware and dinnerware which are appropriate for the occasion. Complement them with other table appointments. You can match or blend the colors and textures of the dishes or you can contrast with something different.
- Use appointments that match the meal or food to be served. That means, a snack can be served on a paper plate with paper napkins while a home-cook dinner should be served on attractive dishes to show off the meal. On the other hand, party food may be served using the family's best dinnerware and cloth napkins.
- Only the utensils necessary for the meal need to be placed on the table.
- Put down the correct number of place mats or a tablecloth, if these are being used.
- If there is room left, place serving utensils and dishes at the table center or on nearby counter or server.
- The centerpiece should be attractive. Simple ones such as fresh flowers, a plant or fruits can be used. If candles are used, they should be lit with the flame above eye level. Be sure that the centerpiece is: low so that people at the table can see over it; colorful and blends with the colors of the tablecloth and dishes; and fresh and clean looking.
flatware in amazon
dinnerware in amazon
More by this Author
Philippines has been blest with fertile soil. It has abundant supply of vegetables and other root crops available throughout the year. The agriculture sector here plays an important role in keeping the economy stable....
To work with ease and smooth flow in your kitchen, and depending on how big or small the area, choose any of the 5 types of kitchen arrangements which suits you best.
Table setting style is the focus of any party where food is served. Tableware and setting plan depends on the event or occasion and it can be as important as the food you serve. The first step to do in putting together...