Should You Use a Chimney Cleaning Log?
If you have a chimney then there is no need to sell you on how beautiful having a fire is, how warm it make room both aesthetically and in comfort, or how energy efficient a fire in the fireplace can be. After all, you already know this. But how much do you know about the maintenance and care of your chimney? For instance, did you know that is important to have your chimney cleaned at least once a year?
Perhaps, you are aware that it is necessary to have your chimney cleaned, but have opted – or are perhaps considering- to use the chimney cleaning logs. If so, how much do you really know about their effectiveness? If you are contemplating using chimney cleaning logs, then there are several things you need to know.
Pros of Chimney Cleaning Logs
· Chimney cleaning logs are easy to use. Simply unwrap, place, and light.
· They are fairly inexpensive and have a long shelf life.
· Many chimneys are rather lengthy, with a slight ben to them. Consequently, cleaning your home's chimneys can be difficult. After all, a broom handle can only reach so far. By using a chimney cleaning log, you are able to remove much of the creosote that is deposited by using a fireplace.
· Other chimney cleaning products will not break down the creosote deposits into ash. In these situations, you must manually handle the collected debris. This is a difficult job, and can also be hazardous to your health because of the tar-based dust that will be in the air.
Cons of Chimney Cleaning Logs
· By manual cleaning the chimney, a professional chimney cleaner will be able to identify any concerns such as a loose or damaged chimney flue, cracked bricks, or any other concerns that need to be addressed.
· Cleaning logs cannot remove any obstructions or significant build up within the chimney. These will have to be dealt with by a professional.
· There are some who feel that chimney cleaning logs are more dangerous, as they can cause creosote to fall down into the logs below, thus sending the fumes into the room.
Now that you know about the advantages and disadvantages of chimney cleaning logs, it is up to you and how you want to approach having a clean chimney. However, if you want to truly know that your chimney is clean, as well as know that your chimney's structure is sound, and that now critters have taken up residence, then you will need to talk to a qualified chimney sweep such as the professional chimney cleaners at Guardian Chimney of Paramus, NJ.
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of chimney cleaning. One such site worth visiting is Guardian Chimney
Janet Slagell independently authors articles for WebDrafter.com, Inc. for search engine marketing. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.
More by this Author
No comments yet.