Slow Cooker, Crock Pot for Dummies
Cooking With Crock Pot - First Experience
Just passed a Gain City electrical and electronic appliances store in Singapore 0n 9 July 2010. I chanced upon a small little crock pot (slow cooker). What? Only $8.00? Cannot be true...so cheap! Yes, it is only SGD$8.00. I thought to myself.... I have never never done a crock pot dish before. I have eaten in Singapore restaurants that served tender meat dishes, I believe done in crock pots... hoping I can produce the same dishes.
I have heard about it, and how tasty and tender any meat dish with crock pot will taste like. Before I invest in a big one, maybe this small cheaper one can help me do some experiment with food. The picture on the right is the small crock pot slow cooker.
Cooking with Crock Pot (Slow Cooker)
Depending on the size of the crock pot and the number of servings you need, you will have to prepare the ingredients accordingly.
- Cut up the meat into cubes or small even chunks
- Cut up carrots, potatoes, celery, any vegetable you want to add into stew. Some may not need to be cut up like small items like onions or garlic.
- Brown the meat in an oil pan
- Place the browned meat and vegetable in the crock pot.
- Add in herbs and sauces for the flavour to be infused into meat and soup during cooking.
- Place water until ingredients are covered.
- Cover the crock pot and turn the heater on.
- About 3 hours later, it is ready.
- Serve with spring onion, parsley, some sesame oil, pepper and soya sauce (if need to).
Some Dishes or Recipes with Crock Pot
There are so many things you can do with a crock pot. Slow cooking allows the food to slowly slow boil and stew, and ultimately soft tender meat is ready. Some yummy recipes includes...
- Beef Stew
- Chicken Stew
- Beef Rendang (An Asian curry dish)
- Bak Kut Teh (Chinese Pork Rib Soup)
- Buddha-Jump-Over-The-Wall (A rich tasty soup with Dried Scallops, Fish Maw, Abalone, Shark Fins, Mushrooms, Pig Tendons and some herbs)
- Porridge is also possible
Better Health with Crock Pot Cooking
The ceramic pot somehow maintain the heat and prevent the food from burnt. They will not overboil until the nutrients and vitamins are gone. Food is soft and tender, and easily digestible. It is absolutely great for dried food stuff like dried abalone, scallops, fish maw, pig tendons, shark fins, oyster, and very tough cuts of meat.
It requires a lot of patience, but it is really worth the experience. Good food with good taste at the end of the day. For the Family, such a slow cooking crock pot is definitely a good investment. My children love the food.
Other Recommended Reading
- Personal Trainer, Fitness Club or Centre in Singapore
I have always regarded health and fitness as very important. I have not been exercising on my own for the past few years. Fats are accumulating around my abdominal area, my pants are getting tighter by the...
- IPL Hair Removal, Laser Hair Removal in Singapore
Hair removal in Singapore, especially IPL hair removal treatment seems to be gaining popularity. A good number of aesthetic clinics offer this treatment. Is it better than laser hair removal, cheaper, fast, and what about side effects?
More by this Author
IT Show Singapore 2013, another big computer fair and exhibition like the COMEX Show, Sitex Show and PC Show in Singapore March 2013, at MBS. Another big show of gadgets, gizmos, technological items.
Fishing spots in Malaysia for Kelong Fishing and Deep Sea Fishing to be explored. Fishing tips when going on a Kelong Fishing Trip and Stay.
With only a few months or weeks to the GCE O Levels, a good Coaching Program or Intensive revision program for GCE O Level students may be something to look into. Confused, you want to do well...you check this out!