The 5 Best Cordless Drills For Home Use
The Best Cordless Drill You Can Use Everyday
I set out to compile a useful list of the best cordless drills for use around the home.
A good cordless drill is an essential power tool for the do-it-yourself-er as well as anyone engaged in the construction field.
Hopefully, this buying guide will be helpful and save you the time of wading through the almost countless cordless drill review found online.
How I Picked The Top 5
Finding the perfect drill for your use - at home or on the job - is ultimately a personal decision.
I tried to include a wide variety of drills in this list. Realizing that the drill best suited for someone who make their living in the trades was not necessarily idea for the woman or man that just needs a good, dependable tool from time to time; I strove to include variety in my picks.
I waded through review after review online, read about the specs and features. I examined both the good and bad points of each. And, in the end, I hopefully compiled a listing that should at least get you started on your quest to find a cordless drill that has the features you want.
Comparing The Features of The Best Cordless Drills
Battery Packs Included
Time to charge battery?
Type of battery?
The Bosch HDS181-02 is at The Top of My Cordless Drill List.
The Bosch HDS181-02 has everything I look for in a cordless drill. It is lightweight and compact. It has the power I want and need in a drill. It comes with 2 quickly charging battery pack so I can keep going all day long.
I have always liked Bosch products and feel like I have found a real winner with this drill set. This is a powerful drill that could easily be used on a construction site. It is also a great drill - maybe more than you need - around the house.
Here's a more point by point breakdown of what you get with this drill kit.
- I like the compact size of this drill. The 7 1/2 inch head length mean you can get to tighter spaces.
- Long lasting , high capacity batteries. The 2 batteries that are included provide 50% more run time than standard lithium ion batteries. This longer run time lets you keep on going with less battery changes. There's also a neat battery power fuel gauge to let you know when you are running low.
- 30 Minute battery charger. You'll always have power at the ready since a 30 minute charges comes with this package. In addition, this drill is compatible with every 18 volt Bosch battery.
- How does it feel? It feels really good. I guess the feel of a drill - the balance, the weight, the ergonomics - don't make that much of a difference if you are just using it here and there for a few minutes at a time. But when you tend to do ambitious projects like assembling a backyard shed the feel becomes important. Very important.
- It's light yet powerful. That is a good combination. 18 volts of power in a compact drill that weighs about 3 pounds. Makes a difference after a hard day.
- It has two speeds. Whether you need a lot of torque or fast speed, there's a setting for each. It you use your drill in different materials - concrete, wood, blocks, or bricks - you will be able to use the proper speed setting to efficiently get the job done.
What are the drawbacks to this drill?
- It may be just too much drill for your personal use. This is a lot of drill. It's built to take on a heavy load and go all day long. But, do you really need that much power and performance. Maybe you can find something that meet your needs at a lower cost.
I Like The DEWALT DCD760KL Driver Drill Kit, Too. It's Number 2.
The DEWALT DCD760KL cordless drill kit is an excellent package. The drill is well balanced and weighs less than 4 lbs. It is rugged enough to perform many professional jobs.
Well, the devil is in the details, as they say. So, let's examine the specifics of this drill kit.
- It is compact enough to get into tighter spaces. It is just a fraction over 8 inches in length. If you are planning on working in cramped spaces, you'll need and appreciate this feature.
- It is rugged; yet it weighs just 4 lbs. That light weight makes a difference at the end of the day. And the drill holds up to heavy use.
- Two Lithium Ion batteries are included in the kit. They last longer than Nickel Cadmium batteries. They weigh less also.
- A 30 minute battery charger is part of the kit. When one battery runs out you simply replace it with a they other and re-charge the spent one.
- 18 volts of power. The Dewalt drill has the power you need for a variety of applications.
- It has a work light built in. You'd be surprised at how often this little LED light is helpful.
- It whole package comes in a heavy duty storage box. You can organize, protect, and store the drill and batteries in this storage case that's made to withstand rough use.
What should you know about this DeWalt drill that's not so positive?
- Several reviewers stated that they had problems with the chuck staying tight.
- Lithium Ion batteries go 100% until they stop. Some didn't like that they don't "wind down' in power.
The Ultimate Handyman talks about choosing a cordless drill.
What features do you want in a cordless drill?
Which of these features are most important to you in a cordless drill?See results without voting
The Best Deals in Cordless Drills.
My general rule for finding the best deals in cordless drills is to go straight to amazon.com. Having compared prices around town and online, they usually offer the best bang for the buck.
They are just my default choice for about any item. They deliver, have a huge selection, and you can read the reviews of other customers.
Brave new world.
The Panasonic EY6432NQKW 15.6-Volt NiMH 1/2-Inch Cordless Drill/Driver Kit is #3
I've always associated Panasonic with electronics. Who knew?
Apparently lots of folks, judging by the high rating this cordless drill is gathering.
It has less power than the 1st two drill on our list. It's more of an around the house type drill. But it can still handle some tougher jobs.
While this kit comes with 2 batteries, they are NiMH and require a 45 minute charging time.
The drill is comfortable to operate. It has a rubber grip and only weighs about four and a half pounds.
The keyless chuck is easy to use. The drill has two speeds ( 65-450 rpm on low speed and 200-1,450 rpm in high speed).
All in all, a very good dependable cordless for weekend projects and even appropriate for light construction use.
The Milwaukee 2410-22 M12 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver
Milwaukee 2410-22 M12 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Drill/Driver is an economical option for men and women who just want a good drill for basic tasks that crop up around the house. Maybe you don't need all the power of a Bosch or a Dewalt. You just need a good cordless drill.
This Milwaukee drill has 12 volts of power. It features two Lithium Ion batteries and a 30 minute charge time.
Why I Like The Makita LXFD01CW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit
You might be wondering, "Hey, where's Makita?" Well, for my list it crops up at number 4.
This is a really god package in the cordless driver/drill department.
It has 18 volts of power. It has Lithium Ion batteries and a quick 15 minute charger.
This is a lightweight and powerful drill with a whole lot to like.
Was This Buying Guide Helpful?
Find a Hardware Store in Your Area
If you're just looking for a budget priced drill, try this newcomer.
Unless you're using your cordless drill daily on the job, you really don't need to spend the big bucks on a Bosch or Mikita. You don't need a couple of hundred dollar drill to perform the occasional household task or do it yourself weekend project.
An economical 18 volt driver drill like this increasingly popular Genesis model will do the trick.
More by this Author
I'm happy with my Bella Rocket Pro Blender. It's one of the few products that I've bought recently that delivers more than expected
So, what do you think? What is your favorite brand of drill?
No comments yet.