The Advantages of Natural Stone Flooring
Installing natural stone flooring is one of the best investments you can make. Natural stone is beautiful, easy to care for, long lasting, and compared to other flooring materials, it’s in a class of its own. Discover below all the advantages that stone flooring has over other types of flooring.
- Natural Stone Care and Maintenance
Tips for care and maintenance that will keep your countertop looking as new as the day we installed it. Learn how to protect your countertop from daily wear-and-tear and other environmental factors.
- A Guide To Natural Stone Tile Flooring
A complete overview of natural stone tiles. Includes important questions to ask your dealer, care and maintenance instructions, and the differences between various natural materials that are available for flooring applications.
- How to Clean Stone Tile Flooring
How to Clean Stone Tile Flooring. The slate usually used in stone tile flooring is porous, meaning it's prone to soaking up residue from spills and soil. It's also quite fragile--cleaners that are acidic, like vinegar, may destroy slate tiles.
- It’s affordable. Although the initial investment that stone flooring requires might be significant, if you consider the durability and lifespan of natural stone, you quickly realize what a great long term investment it is. What’s more, natural stone has that timeless quality that no other flooring material possesses, not even wood.
- It’s easy to maintain. Stone flooring doesn’t require any costly or time-consuming maintenance procedures, and it’s normally much easier to care for than wood flooring. All you need to do is sweep and clean it from time to time using a special cleaner, and every few years, to seal it. To further reduce maintenance costs, choose a stone that doesn’t require sealing: granite.
- It’s widely available. There are many manufacturers offering many varieties of natural stone flooring, in all price ranges, from $40-50 per square meter upwards. Granite, marble, slate, onyx, travertine, and many other stones are all available in a plethora of colors and styles.
- It’s fairly easy to install. Although in itself stone flooring installation is tricky enough that only professionals can do it properly, for customers it’s convenient, because many providers offer to install the flooring as well, either directly, or through some partner company. That makes things easy for you.
- It’s unique. Each slab of stone from which flooring is made is ultimately unique, and that means that nobody else in the world has the flooring that you have. The same cannot be said of the mass-manufactured synthetic floorings which always look the same and lack the strong personality of stone.
- It’s tough. Dropping a sharp or a heavy object on your wood flooring might cause severe damage. Stone is more likely to withstand such shocks, as well as spills, scratches, and stains. What’s more, replacing stone flooring is in many cases easier than replacing wood or synthetic flooring.
- It’s beautiful. Polished stone has a unique look that catches the attention immediately. Veined granite and marble with a colorful shade can be quite unforgettable. And don’t forget that stone’s look will stand the test of time. It will never become out of fashion.
- It’s easy to fix. A professional can remove a damaged tile or mosaic and replace it with a new one in no time. When you buy your stone flooring make sure you get a few spare tiles or mosaics. These will come in handy if you ever need to do a minor repair.
In the end the disadvantages of natural stone flooring should be mentioned as well. There are only two big ones. First, stone flooring can be slippery, increasing the chances for accidents. Falling on your bum on a stone floor is a painful affair. But accidents can be prevented by placing mats and rugs in high traffic
More by this Author
Most people don't know it yet, and many actually take it for granted, but the most effective tactic to make their home more comfortable lies just above their heads. When checking out a home, we ask about the location...
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.
countertop There are many different types of stone countertops that are offered on the market. One of the most popular nowadays is limestone. In the past couple of years, limestone has become an increasingly popular...