The Best Bathtub Style Ever!
Where I grew up, very few people had a bathtub worth bathing in. By that, I mean they had your average rectangular shaped tub from the 60’s, which you couldn’t use with any measure of comfort unless you were similar in stature to a smurf. The end result was everyone took showers. Personally, it didn’t make a difference to me.
Still, in the back of my mind I always thought it would be nice to be able to relax in a hot bathtub and just soak. But I pushed the thought out of my mind and didn’t spend time dwelling on it. When I moved to Europe, however, I found the best of both worlds. I now have a large, triangular shaped bathtub, similar to the one you see in that photo, except the seat on mine is deeper, and the shower heard is mounted a few feet above the faucet. Let me tell you why this is the best.
- You can relax while you shower. It’s awesome, being able to sit down while you shower. You can relax without having to worry about dropping things into the tub, bumping into cold shower curtains, dropping things outside of the tub, or not having enough room to move around.
- But it’s a bath – why would you shower? Personally, I like to shower and then soak in the tub. This is because I don’t feel clean just soaking in sudsy water – and it’s next to impossible to really clean yourself that way, anyway. So I semi-shower, and then soak in the sudsy water. Works great.
- It’s so much easier washing long hair when you can sit down. You don’t have to worry about twisting this way and that when standing up, which isn’t fun and isn’t easy. If you’re sitting down with the shower head just above you, it’s a very simple task.
- You can shave comfortably! This alone is reason enough!
- Isn’t that a waste of water, bathing twice? You’re not really bathing twice, but no - close the drain and let the tub fill up as you shower, and then you can soak in the water when you’re done. It’s the same amount you’d use otherwise, really.
- How do you put a curtain around that thing? You don’t. And no, it doesn’t get cold. Don’t ask me why, it just doesn’t – the water doesn’t go all over the place, either.
- Is bathing really that great? I truly cannot believe I went 30 years without ever really taking the time to relax in a bathtub. I will do my best to make sure I always have one of these! Even if you just shower and don’t soak, the difference is marked!
- How much do they cost? Home Depot has internet specials, and found an American Standard style for only $599. They also sell a fancy Kohler for more than $3000. It all depends on what you want, but I think you’ll find this style is worth it.
More by this Author
I have watched grass grow (closely) 5 times in the last 2 years and having personally laid grass seed and watched it grow in our garden recently, I just wanted to share my observations -- they may surprise you. They...
I'm a very big advocate of bathing, as opposed to showering. Most Americans don't feel they have time to really indulge in a bath, and I'm telling you, a bath can totally change the way you feel. Bathing gives your...
I wrote this article years before it became a popular topic. If you're emotionally overwhelmed and feel as though the weight of the world is on your shoulders, you might be an Empath who is absorbing other people's...