Thinking Clearly When Installing your New Hot Water Heater
Installing the hot water heater correctly, and thinking right.
1. Write down the model number and manufacturer of the hot water heater that you are going to replace. If you have paper work, warrant, or old receipts take them with you as you go to a retailer to purchase a new hot water heater.
2. Does the old hot water heater use electrical power to heat the water or is it a "gas fired" hot water heater? Sometimes utility companies have deals on new hot water heater. If it is an electrical heater your electrical company may offer you a deal, sometimes even monthly payment plans. If you use natural gas to heat your house, your gas company may offer you a deal, even monthly payments options.
3. If you decide that you would rather go for "cheapest price" that you can pay for a quality hot water heater, the lets try some discount places like "Lowe's" or "Home Depot's." If you have cards for "Sears," "Sam's Warehouse," "Cosco"s, or other businesses such as these, this as another option to consider.
4. It is important to know that the service reps over the departments that carry these hot water heater are the same as "free teachers" as far as giving you good advice on what tools you will need to do an installation correctly and safely. Even after you purchase your hot water heater and all the items that you will need to do the job safely and correctly, you can go back to these people or call them on the phone, even in the middle of the job, to get further instruction or information.
5. Take care loading the hot water heater at place of purchase, and secure the hot water heater well. Take care unloading it once you get it back home. Think "safety first." If you can, get help to unload your new hot water heater. Get help moving the old hot water heater out of its place. Drain as much of the water from the old hot water heater as you can before trying to move it.
6. MAKE SURE THAT POWER (ELECTRICAL POWER) IS OFF BEFORE STARTING ANY WORK ON REMOVING THE OLD HEATER OR INSTALLING THE NEW ONE. IF YOU ARE INSTALLING A GAS HEATER YOUR SAFETY APPROACHES TO THE JOB IS EVEN MORE CRITICAL. IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR YOU TO HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO DO THE WORK THAT TO SUFFER AN EXPLOSION TRYING TO INSTAL A GAS HOT WATER HEATER AND GETTING IT WRONG.
7. There are instruction manuals that you can borrow from the library or literature that you can purchase from Lowe's or Home Depot to help you go through the steps of replacing your hot water heater. There is paper work that comes with the heater that will also assist you in your work. Use these resources. Take your time. Get it all done right the first time, if you can. You may not get it right the first time, and this is okay, because even professionals have to, go back to stop a leaking fixture, or make small adjustments.
8. Make sure that the power, electrical power, is off at the circuit breaker at the main source of power to the old hot water heater. If your heater is a gas heater, make sure that the right valves are closed. You have got to get these steps right, "THE FIRST TIME." There is no room for error concerning the details of safety. SAFETY IS EVERYTHING.
9. The last thing that you do on this job is cut your electrical powe back on for an electrical hot water heater. Or open the gas supply valve supplying gas to the heater element in the case of a gas heater. Be careful. Your life depends on your observation of safety practices.
10. Think. Act carefully. And success is your. GOOD LUCK.
More by this Author
For thousands of years garlic has provided human-kind with a "Godly source" of "life-giving" nutrients. Even the pharaohs of Ancient Egypt had a deep appreciation of garlic's nutritional value.
Your appearance, how you feel, and your optimum state of health, may be affected by your state of hydration. Dehydration is not a good thing at all. Most of the time, it is easy to correct.
One can find one's self living from day to day, feeling fairly well, without a care in the world, while at the same time, harboring a serious tumor, that is a cancerous lesion, in one's body. We must always "hope...