The 5 Worst Tomato Problems Solved
Cracking tomato skin
Whats The Problem With Your Homegrown Tomatoes?
1. Blossom end rot may be one of the most common tomato problems. I looks like an ugly brownish rot on the blossom end of the tomato. This is a calcium deficiency, even though there may be plenty of calcium in the soil. Fluxuating water extreams – too much then, too little rain, keeps that plant from taking up calcium.
The Solution – Remove the offending fruit and try to keep the water supply consistant. Mulching can help prevent soil moisture extremes. Supliment rain water to keep the amount of water level stable.
2. Cracking tomato skins occures more often on some varieties. Again, the problem occures most often when soil moisture fluxuates. Tomatoes are directly exposed to sunlight.
The Solution – Choose tomato plants resistant to cracking. Keep tomatoes consistantly watered. No very wet, then very dry extremes.
3. Flower drop means no more tomatoes. Blosoms drop or simply don't form when the weather temps remain high day and night.
The Solution – pray for a break in the heat wave. Tomato plants will again produce flowers and fruits when the temperatures resume to normal summer levels in your area. Continue to water plants.
4. Leaf roll is occuring on my tomato plants, most likely because of heavy pruning. Lower leaves on some varieties roll and become leathery.
The Solution – this is not a problem. It will not affect fruiting or flavor of tomatoes.
5. My tomatoes are not turning red, Your tomaoes may look dull red or orange instead of that bright red color you are expecting. Fruits are exposed to high temperatures and direct sun.
The Solution – Blame it on the heat wave, again. The pigments lycopene and carotene that create the color in tomatoes stop production when temperatures rise. Tomatoes are still tastey and can be eaten or used as normal.
Stop tomato problems
Most tomato problems can prevented.
More by this Author
Grow all the vegetables and herbs needed for the best fresh and canned spaghetti sauce. Know where your food comes from and what's really in it. Start with this pasta sauce.
Pinching will not make plants healthier or more flavorful. It will encourage a fuller, bushier plant with more flowers and leaves.
Keep sidewalks and driveways weed-free all summer. Try these simple and safe remedies as weed and grass killers.