Top 10 tasks around the house that you should NEVER pay someone else to do
Wouldn't it be great to have enough money so that you could pay someone else to do all the dirty, mundane and loathsome jobs around the home?
On face value the answer has to be a resounding YES but when you give the matter closer consideration wouldn't there be some tasks you would rather do yourself? Anyway why pay someone if you can get the jobs done for free?
When you think about it paying someone to do your household chores could be a nightmare. If you will not be home the person in question must be trustworthy, in every sense of the word. Upset the cleaner and you find that your face flannel has cleaned the toilet bowl and your toothbrush the drain. With a quick rinse how would you know that this was the case? So remember not to upset someone who you trust with such tasks.
As for the top 10 tasks around the house that you should NEVER pay someone else to do, these are not easy. However I have given the matter some thought and here we go.
Cook for you
You may think that cooking for you would not be a problem. However we have heard and read about restaurants where the employees have urinated in soup, spat into yogurt and worse. Unless you are 100% certain that you can trust the person avoid this one like the plague.
Washing your underwear
No matter how clean a person you are your underwear should be a private affair. Anyway some lingerie is expensive and delicate and needs extra love and care when being laundered. Even if you choose to wear big knickers that are nothing fancy do you want a stranger handling the goods? I think not. So do not run the risk of offending someone or enabling a person to know the intricate details of your smalls, or perhaps they are larges. Do the job yourself.
Of course if you buy throwaway or edible underwear laundry will be a thing of the past. This could be true for doing dishes. How much do paper plates cost, I wonder?
Then again there are tasks that are a case of why pay someone to do them when you can get them for free. Here are a few:
- Window cleaning.Cleaning the outside windows is not difficult. It can be a pain at times but NEVER pay someone to clean them for you. If you do you will find that the window will clean the windows come hell or high water. You will probably arrive home from work to be told by your window cleaner that he cleaned the windows, even though the heavens have been open all day. How you can prove if this is true or not? Window cleaners have a living to make and so they need to visit every couple of weeks, like it or not. Clean then yourselves as the weather permits.
- Weeding a garden. Turn all or part of your garden into a meadow. Plant wildflowers and let weeds and seeds flourish. This will attract birds and bees and other wildlife. Your garden will become the interest of the neighbourhood. It may be an eyesore for the first few months or years so it could be advisable to put up a warning sign or notify the neighbourhood watch group of nose parkers.
- To water a garden. Install a water butt to harvest rainwater. Link a few rainwater barrels together and add tubing so that the garden can self water. With a little ingenuity your garden will be well watered with no effort, even if you are away on vacation.
- When you think about it there are quite a few jobs in the garden that you should not pay someone to complete. Pruning trees or cutting back branches could offer the work person free fuel for the winter. Advertise free wood for anyone with a real fire. When they arrive tell them that it is free as long as they cut the wood themselves. Bingo. Job done.
- Never pay someone to clean your carpets. Instead ask for a home demonstration from the retailer of an expensive carpet cleaner. With a little skill on your part your carpets will be cleaned for free. Simply say that you will need time to decide whether to buy or not after the demonstration and then forget about it.
- Similarly try a different retailer when you want your sofa or other furniture cleaning. If you pick a pricey piece of equipment the retailer will probably be happy to offer a home demonstration.
- If you have laminate flooring or a similar surface do not pay someone to clean them. Simply tie fluffy cloths around your slippers and dust the floor as you move about. Take care if the surface is polished or slippery. It may be fun skating about the floor as you clean but a broken leg or worse is not advisable.
- NEVER pay someone to paint the door and windows frames of your home. Instead ensure that any home you move into has UPVC frames already installed which are almost maintenance free.
Be imaginative and think about just what household chores you should not have to pay for. Some are just so basic that between the family members they should be easy to share out. Other chores probably do not need doing as often as you currently do.
As a final free clean consider applying to be part of a TV show such as How Clean Is Your House. Bear in mind though that you will have to let your home become filthy before Kim and Aggie will help you out. After all a fairly clean home is not entertainment.
Think about other home make-over shows and see if you can apply. If you are lucky you will be able to have your home re-designed and modernised for free.
Finally if you are loaded, ie have lots of money, how about buying new before you need to clean or maintain? This could work for ovens, fridges, dishwashers, washing machines and the like. As far as paying someone to repair a dishwasher that only cost less than 200 dollars, will it really be cost effective? I think not..
More by this Author
Pine furniture seem to be a little out of fashion currently. Pine was the ultimate wood a few years ago but the light tan wooden furniture constructed from pine is rarely given house room these days.
Corner Sofas where popular in the UK a few years ago. As a piece of modern furniture that was stylish and practical, this furniture seemed set to stay. However, a few years ago corner sofas became hard to...
For those readers who would like to give something back to their community, and volunteer to help those in need at Christmas, there are many places where your help would be greatly appreciated. As Hub Pages is a world...