Types of wine glasses – Buy the right wine glass
The different types of wine glasses explained in beginner style. Find out more about different wine glasses, their prices and their typical uses.
Did you think you could drink wine in just, any glass? Whether you are a wine connoisseur or not, learn how to buy the right glass for the right wine. Find out what are the different types of wine glasses.
Champagne Flutes for White Wines
A Champagne Flute is a type of wine glass that is used to drink Champagne, or sparkling wine. Here are characteristics of a Champagne Flute glass.
- Champagne Flute is a wine glass which has a long stem.
- The ‘bowl’ of the glass is narrow and tall.
- The opening of the Champagne Flute wine glass is narrow. A narrow opening preserves the ‘bulliness’ or the carbonation of the sparkling wine.
- The long stem allows you to hold the glass without affecting the temperature of the white wine.
Tulip Glass for White Wines
White wine can also be served in Tulip Glasses which have a tulip shaped bowl. Here are the characteristics of a Tulip wine glass.
- The Tulip wine glass is characterized by a deep bowl that is narrow at the bottom, broad in the middle and narrow at the opening.
- The stem of this wine glass is shorter than the average wine glass.
- Tulip wine glasses are structured in this unique shape to enhance the aroma of the white wine.
- The narrow opening will reduce the surface area at the top of the glass. This shape will preserve the carbonation or the bubbliness of your favorite white wine.
Bordeaux Glass for Red Wines
Red wines that are powerful, heavy and full-bodied deserve to be served in Bordeaux wine glasses. Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and full bodied Merlots are the wines that you would want to serve in his glass. Here are characteristics of a classic Bordeaux wine glass.
- The Bordeaux wine glass has a very typical broad bowl.
- Like other wine glasses, it has a long stem.
- The opening of the glass is narrower than the bowl itself.
- The Bordeaux glass' broad bowl and its typical shape allows the wine to directly go to the back of the mouth.
Burgundy Glass for Red Wines
Knowing the typical characteristics of a Pinot Noir wine will be helpful in understanding the intricacies of Burgundy wine glasses. The typical characteristics of a Pinot Noir wine lie in its fineness and delicate taste.
From aromas of cherry, raspberry and other berries to a punchy hit of the taste on the tongue, Pinot Noir wines generally aim to dazzle your taste buds. A Pinot Noir wine is typically served in a Burgundy Wine Glass. Here are typical characteristics of a Burgundy wine glass.
- The Burgundy wine glass has a bowl which is broader than the Bordeaux wine glasses.
- The stem elevates into a broad bowl followed by an opening narrower than the body.
- The structure of the Burgundy wine glass will allow the wine to hit the tip of your tongue for give you time to explore the delicate flavor and aroma of the Pinot Noir Wines.
Sherry Glass for Sherry Wines
A Sherry Glass is meant for drinking sherry wines which are typical to Spain. This glass can also be used to drink port wine which is typically Portuguese. Here are characteristics of a Sherry Glass.
- The stem of a Sherry glass is shorter than other wine glass varieties. The stem elevates into a bowl that is broad at the bottom and narrow at the top.
- The bowl of the Sherry glass is long and tapers into a narrow opening.
- The structure of the Sherry Glass, especially the narrow opening is said to enhance the aroma of the sherry wine.
Stemless Wine Glasses
As time has moved on, wine glasses too have seen an evolution in design and style. Unlike their traditional counterparts, Stemless wine glasses are void of a stem.
They are a modern innovation, often criticized by many traditionalists and wine connoisseurs who believe that Stemless wine glasses do not have flavor or aroma enhancing properties. Here are characteristics of Stemless wine glasses.
- Stemless wine glasses don’t have a stem.
- You can buy Stemless wine glasses in various shapes and sizes to suit the personality, flavor and aroma of your wine.
- Many wines are best consumed at certain specific temperatures. As Stemless wine glasses are devoid of the stem, the temperature of the wine will be affected by your warm hands. Many wine connoisseurs see this as a major drawback.
- Stemless wine glasses do not have the stunning and romantic visual appeal that their traditional counterparts have. Although this may change as concepts and ideas change over the decades.
Things to remember before you select the right wine glass
As a beginner to the delicate world of wines, you may be faced with a lot of confusion when you buy your first set of wine glasses. Put all the worries to rest by thinking about these simple questions.
- What type of wine am I drinking? Do I need to preserve the carbonation in my wine? This will help you narrow your choice down to the basic ‘type’ of wine glass you want to buy.
- What are the typical characteristics of my wine? This will help you isolate the full bodied and heavy wines from the ones which subtle and delicate aromas.
- Am I looking for a specific shape in my wine glass? Finally, pick a shape that you like, and buy your favorite wine glass.
These basics questions are just to get you started on your epic journey in the world of wines and the different types of wine glasses that are available. Soon you will develop your own liking and preferences for particular wine glasses just like other wine accessories, for example a wine thief. Enjoy the entire process of selecting from different types of wine glasses, ordering them and later enjoying your favorite wine in them.
Wine glasses on Amazon.com
More by this Author
- 7RSVP Stainless Steel Wine Glasses and Stemless Tumblers - Buying guide, advantages and disadvantages
This is a review and a buying guide for the RSVP Stainless Steel Wine Glasses and the RSVP Endurance Stemless Wine Glass or tumbler. Whether you are a diehard wine lover looking to add something different to your ever...
Looking to buy cool shot glasses? From skull shot glasses to ice shot glasses and from unique shot glasses to novelty drinkware, this list is has some of the cheapest shot glasses that you can buy online. All the...
Here is a collection of messages and quotes that symbolize the bond of true friendship.