Useful Homemade Remedies For Cleaning The House
Quick Fixes For Cleaning
If you have even had company coming over and forgot to replenish your furniture polish you know exactly how the panic feels. What are you going to do to polish the furniture, clean the mirrors, and get the house smelling like something out of a palace?
It is actually easy to make your products with the items that you have on hand, but do not realize the many options from just one product. Some products like vinegar and baking soda go a long way in making inexpensive products for your home. The only caution is reading from the product labels that you intend to use to make sure you can mix them with other ingredients.
Listed below are some fixes and you will need to see which one works best for you. *Please note that if you use these suggestions you should test any product first, even homemade ones. If you are allergic to certain products, always wear rubber gloves to protect your skin and a face mask.
Furniture Polish and Wood Scratch Fix
This will definitely restore luster to your wood furnishings. It is fast and easy to mix, and you more than likely have the products on hand. This will remove the water rings also and is a great substitute and inexpensive.
- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of distilled with vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. lemon oil
Fresh lemon juice may also be used
Mixing: pour the olive oil, add the vinegar and the lemon oil into a clean spray bottle. Shake it well and using a clean soft cloth, rub onto the finish wood furniture. Go with the grain and remove any of the excess polish.
Cleaning The Bathroom
Cleaning the Bathroom Tub - Shower
If you have ever watched Rehab Addict on HGTV, you know that she uses vinegar for her cleaning of the bathroom. It will make you shower, bathtub, and sink very clean and free of mildew and soap scum.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups of vinegar
- 1teaspoon of vegetable-based dish soap. (you can use regular dish washing liquid) More on dishwashing soap and shampoo later.
Mix in a cleaned spray bottle, shake, and clean.
Here is a paste formula:
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of grease-cutting dish soap
- 3/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of sodium borate
Each of these formulas should be applied to the surface of the shower or tub very liberally and allow to soak for 15 minutes. After the wait, take your scrubbing sponge remove, rinse, and wipe dry.
Cleaning Hard Water Stains and The Yellow Rings - The Toilet
If you live where the water makes hard water rings in the toilet, it can be embarrassing and frustrating. Here is a simple but tested and tried formula to get the rings out and have a toilet that is shinny and white like it is new.
If the yellow stains are new and recent:
- Full strength white distilled vinegar- rub on and if needed let stand for a while but it can take the yellow off almost immediately. It depends upon how long the stains have been there.
Old hard water stains that do not budge with regular clearing, here is more than one solution. See which one works best for you:
- 1cup of vinegar *pour into the bowl and let it stay for about one minute after swishing then add.
- 1 cup of baking soda *allow to fizz for about 10 minutes, then use the toilet brush to make it clean and while.
**The above formula also works to unstop sink drains. It works, let it fizz and flush with water.
- 1/4 cup of Borax
- 1 cup of vinegar
Pour into the bowl, whisk it around in the toilet bowl, and let it stand for about 20 minutes. Then finish with the toilet brush to remove stains and get that clean, fresh and white bowl.
When the hard water stain is very old and is not budging, here is some additional ways to make those old ugly stains disappear:
- Fine wet sandpaper
- Pumice stone works great also.
What to remember- scrub lightly with either of the above. You do not want to scrub it dry as the porcelain could become damaged. Make sure the sand paper is wet, and keep the pumice stone wet or damp. **It works on the hard stuff.
Cleaning Ceramic Tile and Countertop
Ceramic walls in the bath or kitchen can get grimy so therefore it may take a little work to make them shine like new.
- 1 gallon of warm water
- 1/2 cup of ammonia
- 1/4 cup of sodium carbonate, and
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
Apply with a spray bottle; a sponge may also be used. Clean as usual, after sitting for a few minutes, wipe, and rinse with water.
There are all kinds of herbal homemade recipes out there. You can even make your own potpourri. Quick and easy is what I look for.
Citrus - this one holds up longer than some other fruits.
- Mix fresh orange, ginger, you may use fresh or powdered, and almond extract. (1) Orange (you may use the peel also). One 4 inch finger of ginger, it may be sliced or one tsp of ground ginger, 1/2 tsp of almond extract.
Mix these in a fruit jar, or place a mixture in the crockpot, or little burner made just for burning oils.
- Fresh Lime, Thyme, Mint, and vanilla extract. Combine in a jar to give your home that punch of fresh air. (3) Limes, (3 to 4) twig of fresh thyme, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Lemon, Rosemary, and Vanilla mixed in a jar. Fresh and clean just like the feel when you squeeze the lemon on your hands to remove some smell that you do not like. (3) Twig of fresh rosemary, 2 lemons, 1 tsp. of vanilla.
The above may be stored in the refrigerator, or freezer. You may also burn these fragrances on a burner of your stove; use your slow cooker or small burning pot.
There are many other, too numerous to add here, but this last one is already mixed for you and leaves a great smell if you like Lavender.
- Fabuloso Multi Cleaner- pour it in a little burning pot and let simmer. The fragrance will make you home smell fresh and clean just as it does on the floor after you have mopped. Cheap and simple, but works.
More by this Author
We all know exactly what this word means but I think we forget sometimes that Personal means just that…private…individual…my business…not yours. We sometimes forget what questions we should...
If you haven't been keeping up with all of the mortgage changes; please be aware that FHA (Federal Housing Administration) loans just gotten more expensive. FHA has new rulesand regulations which make them more like...
Is God Real, well it depends upon whom you ask and what they have allowed themselves to believe. Inherited beliefs from how we have lived our entire life. Find here some great wisdom for Is God Real.
No comments yet.