What Type of Natural Stone Flooring Should You Get?
There are many types of natural stone flooring, and each has its own characteristic look and advantages. All natural stone has its benefits and beauty, so your choice should be driven by your own taste and needs. And then of course, also by the size of your pocket...
Here is a list of the essential natural stone options provided by most manufacturers:
- Marble is an exquisite natural stone long used for flooring. Its classic appearance recommends it as a great choice for private as well as public buildings. Most varieties of marble contain minerals, which give them a beautiful veined appearance. Marble is resistant, but compared to other stones it’s soft and easier to scratch. So make sure you buy marble flooring that’s treated to withstand damage.
- Care and Maintenance of Natural Stone Surfaces
You can choose from various stones to create your next countertop, including marble, granite, quartz, limestone, travertine, and onyx. Read here for more details on each rock.
- Choosing and Using Stone Surfaces - Martha Stewart Home & Garden
Read Martha Stewart's Choosing and Using Stone Surfaces article Get do-it-yourself closet, kitchen, cabinet organization ideas, plus home decorating and gardening tips.
- How to Do Your Own Low-Cost Natural Stone Floor
Lay Your Own Natural Stone Flooring - For Almost Nothing!! Finding the perfect flooring to enhance the natural features of a rustic home, or outdoor space, is not always an easy task and by no means is it cheap. Forget buying expensive floor tiles,..
- Natural Stone Mosaics
Natural stone mosaics can be an amazing addition to your home. Using natural stone available without any type of alteration is a personal statement that says you want value as well as durability. Natural stone itself provides a medium which is...
- Granite is one of the most popular type of natural stone used for flooring. Available in almost endless varieties, including dark or colorful shades, granite has a good density and an outstanding resistance to scratching. A high-quality granite flooring that’s well maintained last a lifetime.
- Limestone comes in natural earthen colors that give it a special look. Just like flagstone, it is a sedimentary stone that can also be used outdoors. But because of its wonderful appearance, limestone is ideal for the flooring of private homes. Being generally widely available, limestone tends to be more affordable than marble or granite flooring.
- Slate has a textured look and is available in many colors. One of the more affordable natural stones, long used in construction, slate gives your flooring a nice look. Durable and long-lasting, slate flooring is an excellent investment.
- Travertine is a soft natural stone with a textured surface, and a density similar to that of marble. Its natural softness makes it easy to polish or to cut, which is why you will find many interesting travertine flooring options. Travertine is a great alternative to marble, it’s usually less expensive but no less attractive than the latter.
- Flagstone is a sedimentary rock usually split into layers. Visually pleasing and extremely resistant, it’s typically used as tiles outdoors, in steps, patios, and walkways. Many of the European medieval castles were built with flagstone, and they are still standing – that’s good proof of the durability of flagstone.
- Sandstone is another sedimentary rock, consisting of sand usually consolidated with quartz or clay. It has a textured surface and is available in many bright colors, making it an appealing choice for those who want a flooring that strikes the eye. Sandstone flooring is a great choice for a modern house.
Finally, you have to know that some natural stone flooring providers offer a less expensive alternative to natural stone, the synthetic manufactured stone. Made from chips of stone and cement and polyester, manufactured stone is not necessarily a bad product, but it doesn’t compare to natural stone. So even if you’ll be spending more, go with the natural stone.
More by this Author
Depending on the environment in which your furnace operates, most HVAC companies recommend all filters be changed at least twice a year. If your home is located in an area with a lot of dust or dirt, you may want to...
countertop There are many different types of stone countertops that are offered on the market. One of the most popular nowadays is limestone. In the past couple of years, limestone has become an increasingly popular...
The Kitchen is an important room in most homes, it’s where families cook and eat together. When considering a new kitchen layout it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each.
No comments yet.