Maren Morgan M-T profile image 88

Is it OK to install a window air conditioner permanently in a cut wall opening rather than a window?

Because I need natural light (strong seasonal affective disorder), I hate blocking light when I put my room air conditioners in my home's windows. Since I now see air conditioners and split air conditioners in hotels high on the walls near the ceiling, I was wondering if a "standard" room air conditioner will work in a framed opening especially sized for it. Will it work? I cannot see why it wouldn't, but I am asking all the HVAC experts to educate me. What placement considerations are required?

ShootersCenter profile image80

David (ShootersCenter) says

• Maren Morgan M-T profile image

Maren Elizabeth Morgan (Maren Morgan M-T) 4 years ago

Thanks for the answer. Obviously, such a hole would need to framed in a way that does not cause wall damage or water leakage...good to keep these factors in mind!

Dr. Haddox profile image72

Dr Freddie Haddox (Dr. Haddox) says

• Maren Morgan M-T profile image

Wow - it did not occur to me that this could be a codes violation. Thanks for the input!