peeples profile image 90

Why would electrical outlet still not be working?

We moved into a home not long ago. There was an outlet that was not working. We bought a new one, shut the power off, and replaced. The new one is not working either. It is an old home that only has 2 wires. The hot wire was hooked to the gold screw and the other was hooked to the silver screw. All other nearby outlets work fine and are on the same breaker. What could be wrong?

ShootersCenter profile image80

David (ShootersCenter) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 4 years ago

The two wires in the wall are both black. They are old. I do not know what knob and tube wiring is but I know that the box was coverted from the fuse kind to the modern kind, but it appears the wiring was not. It appears to be te same age as house.

nightwork4 profile image60

nightwork4 says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 4 years ago

yes there are other outlets on the breaker. I tested the two wires this morning. Only one is getting a beep from the voltage tester.

• peeples profile image

Peeples 4 years ago

We checked it all with no luck! So annoyed this is the outlet me wanted to plug our Christmas Tree lights in! Thanks!

MichaelDuffy profile image61

MichaelDuffy says

0

• peeples profile image

Peeples 4 years ago

Thanks JT!