Jackie Lynnley profile image 76

Do Crepe Myrtles come in two colors on one tree?

One of my trees this year has light pink and dark pink blooms and I have never seen a Crepe Myrtle with more than one color. In fact my tree has never been two colors until this summer and I know it is just one tree for I planted it when it was tiny and it has only been blooming about 4 years now. Have you seen this before? How can it be?

RTalloni profile image85

RTalloni says

lisavollrath profile image89

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 18 months ago

I was down to bare root on this tree for I moved it after the original planting. As you can see it has two colors and where I live I see hundreds of CM every summer and have never seen two colors unless trees are planted so close their colors merge.

connorj profile image82

John Connor (connorj) says

• lisavollrath profile image

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) 18 months ago

Grafting isn't a common practice on Crape Myrtles. You would more likely see this on fruit trees or roses, which are both commonly grafted to supply strong roots on varieties that don't grow them on their own.

cat on a soapbox profile image82

Catherine Tally (cat on a soapbox) says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 17 months ago

Yes I think it does too and if my mom can see them I know she is thrilled and that makes me happy. I looked today and they are even fuller and still two colors!

Faith Reaper profile image87

Faith Reaper says

• Jackie Lynnley profile image

Jackie Lynnley 17 months ago

It has been blooming about four years & this is the biggest of course it has ever been & the first time I have seen the two colors. I photo it every year; it is so strange. It was Moms & she wanted pink but was told it was white but never