I am actually going to write a hub about this soon. Here are some tips from my upcoming hub:
- Decide if you want to start from seeds or from transplants. Growing from seed can take 150 days before the egg plant matures.
- If staring from seed, plant them indoors for the first 4-6 weeks.
- When planting outside pick the sunniest spot, they love the sun.
- Egg plants need soil that drains well.
- They need a lot of room, don't overcrowd the plants. If you are planting many in rows then each plant should be atleast 18inchs apart and each row should be 30inches apart. This is a common mistake.
- Use a potassium rich fertilizer if you aren't going organic.
And as with many vegetables, water regularly and check for pests often too.
I hope this helps!