Building Raised Garden Beds
How to Make a Raised Garden Bed
We are going to talk about building raised garden beds, read through and watch the video to get the instruction you need to build a raised garden bed to use for flowers, vegetables etc. You can build your raised bed out of any material you choose, including lumber, rocks, bricks, concrete and other such materials. This tutorial will be using wood.
What You'll Need to Build a Raised Garden Bed
To build one 4x4 foot raised bed you will need:
- Two, 2 x 10 x 8 foot wood planks
- Tape measure
- Skill saw
- Exterior screws
- Carpenter square
You want to make sure that they are exterior screws, it's very important to use the proper screws when building raised garden beds.
Use untreated wood, you don't want treated wood because it has chemicals you don't want in your vegetables or your body. It isn't great for any live thing including flowers or small creatures either.
Build a Raised Garden Bed
1. Make sure that your edges are square. Measure half way down the board, 4 feet and mark with your pencil. Using your carpenters square make a straight line across the board.
2. Using a skill saw cut through the board in a clean line.
3. After laying out your boards on the ground to make sure you have a enough room for your raised bed measure 3/4 of an inch from the top, middle and bottom of the board make each place with your pencil, this is where we are going to drill the holes.
4. You want to pre drill your holes to prevent breakage in the wood and make it easy to assemble.
5. Place the edges of the wood together, if possible get someone to help you out to keep it braced together while you finish assembling the raised garden bed.
6. Now screw in your screws in your pre drilled holes, make sure you go fairly slowly so you have good control over what you are doing.
7. Place your box in the spot you wish to have your raised garden bed, take a tool like the back of a hammer and trace the inside of the box leaving a mark around the hole box in the dirt.
8. Pick back up your box and this is where you will start digging!
9. Dig out the inside of the marked area evenly, you will be digging approximately 1 foot down. If the soil is too rough you can use a pick ax to break up the soil and then finish digging.
10. Use the back of your shovel to even out the soil before you place your box back in its place.
11. Be sure to pick out all of the weeds and roots and other unwanted items.
12. Lay your box back on top and fill out areas with soil to even it out with the rest of the ground. Use your level to make sure it is even.
13. Put soil around the outside edge of the whole box and lightly stamp it down with your feet, or get your kids involved!
And now you have your finished raised garden bed, enjoy! These are great for raised vegetable beds, or other food beds like to grow strawberries, or raised flower beds for plants like Tulips.
More by this Author
Star Gazer Lilies have several different meanings, all of which are beautiful. You can learn Stargazer lily meanings to help decide if the stargazer lily is what you want to have in your garden, your home, send to a...
Lilies are a very popular choice for planting in your garden, they are a beautiful, elegant, and usually brightly colored flower that often has a sweet smell to match. Read below to see different lily varieties.
The most common types of daisies grown as flowers, with pictures.