Decorating Ideas - Bathroom Décor on a Budget
Decorate on a Budget!
A bathroom should be filled with light. Your bathroom is almost like a place to go to meditate; it’s where you go to cleanse and refresh or relax in a hot bath before retiring for the night. Bathroom remodeling usually surprises people at how expensive they can be, especially given the size of the room. Renovating a bathroom can be very expensive, but redecorating it doesn’t have to be. There are plenty of low-cost ways to makeover your bathroom.
Many people associate their bathroom décor with the ocean or beach. A few simple accessories can bring memories of the beach and the ocean to your bathroom, and add a calming feel. Here are a few bathroom décor ideas that can be easy on your pocketbook, followed by some pictures to help inspire.
- Paint is the most cost-effective way of affecting change to a space and the bathroom is no different. Paint bathroom walls with a simple clean color like lemon yellow or pale blue.
- If you’re replacing or adding tiles, don’t spend extra money on flashy handmade tiles; go neutral and plain so you can save money and end up with a neutral canvas for colorful accessories and towels.
- Update a tired tub by installing new faucets – this touch can go a long way to changing the overall feel of the room.
- If you have enough room above your sink area, hang a large old mirror with a new frame for charm. If you already have a large mirror there, purchase some inexpensive molding, such as chair rail, and with a few simple miter cuts, frame out your mirror for a dramatic change.
- If you’re looking to change out your bathroom vanity, try to find a dresser at an auction or flea market that has “good bones” and top it with piece of marble to create a unique vanity – this can cost a lot less than some ready-made vanities if you find a piece of furniture at a great price.
More Decorating Hubs:
- Real stone flooring can be pricey, but you can achieve the same look with look-alike ceramic tiles, many of which are very affordable – not to mention easier to maintain than real stone.
- Scour salvage yards for vintage sinks; this can save you a bundle versus purchasing a reproduction one.
- To cut down on the time and expense of tile installation, purchase two-inch floor tiles in one-foot square sheets.
- For budget decorating, creative repurposing is the key. Enlist old gym locker or other baskets as bathroom storage; try hanging them on a wall.
- Brighten a bathroom by hanging multiple mirrors on the walls.
- Bring the outdoors in with a plant, or plants, to infuse color and life to a plain bathroom space.
- In a small or narrow bathroom, hang a small mirror with an interesting frame above the sink and use an old bench or trunk to hold toiletries.
- Create a unique decorative accent with a pretty mobile that you can make yourself using shells; hang it near a window.
- Decorate windowsills with seashells and glass bottles filled with beach sand.
- In summary, painting, replacing old fixtures such as faucets, choosing bright towels and bath rugs, and updating window treatments can go a long way to changing a hum-drum bathroom into a relaxing paradise.
If you liked these tips and want more, check out more budget decorating ideas for these rooms: bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens and dining rooms.
More by this Author
How to warm up or cool off a room: interior paint colors and ideas to help you create the room you desire...
Learn how to create a photograph display, with pictures of arrangements, tips, and ideas on how to design the best picture wall for your space. Make your photo wall pop!
Your doctor may not tell you everything about what to expect during treatment for breast cancer. I learned the hard way.