diy projects for men

This weekend I decided to tackle a diy project on my car. Well two projects. The first one was to change my oil which is pretty standard for me and I have been doing my own oil changes for a while and have become very comfortable with doing them. The second was to replace my wheels studs as the threads had become chewed up from season of switching between winter and summer tires. I figured I would start the project that I thought to be the hardest and would take the longest time. So on Saturday morning after breakfast I started to change out the wheel studs.

I had taken the time to look over walk through guides that other owners of the same car had posted online. Not only that but I also reviewed the service manual that the technicians at the dealership use. All of this information was enough to make me confident that I could do the change. The Thursday before I had gone out and purchased all the needed hardware for the changeover. Once I had started I realized that the hardest part was unscrewing the lug nuts as the threads where not new.

I found that front was easier than the rears. I was able to get through the front two reasonably quickly and I found that four hours felt like one. Once I started on the rear tires I hit my first roadblock. There were two holes that I needed to thread an M8 1.25 bolt through to push the hub off. The two holes had been stripped and there was no thread for the bolts to grab onto. Now what?

By this time dinner was on soon to be on the table. I decided to pack it in for the day, recoup and re-think. My girlfriend went online and research rethreading kits while I got cleaned up and showered. Then over dinner we talked about what options I had. I took a look and found some tapping kits and we said we’d go in the morning. I felt like there might be something that I was missing since it seemed simple in the beginning, what had changed?

After dinner I grabbed the tablet and went online to youtube to see if anyone had a video walk through. Know that my car has the same parts as other sister models in the brand I had a wider search band. There was one gentleman on there who I had seen previously as he worked and posted on my car specifically. Lucky enough he had a video of the same job but on a different model. The parts were the same and the process I had followed exactly alike. As I watched and got to the point where I hit my roadblock a light was illuminated.

I was being too nice to make car. A strong show of force was needed.

After seeing this, my confidence was restored. Knowing I had a backup also helped me sleep easier that night.

After breakfast, I decided to get an early start. To be polite to the neighbors I waited until after ten to start banging around and as thought and seen, a strong show of force was able to get the hub off and the show back on the road. (at that point I did go inside to share the good news with a cheer!)


The rest of project went smoothly and took another few hours.

Once I had cleaned up and came back inside I realized how much money I had saved. The technicians at my stealership would have charged anywhere between 60-80 an hour and would have run into the same problems I did. So two days and four hours a piece I was looking at a savings of 480-640 dollars.

Nowadays, I find it’s important to educate yourself. The more you know the better off you are. It instills confidence and also saves you money.

By no means I am saying you can do everything yourself but what you should at least check is to see if you can. Proper tools and parts are always needed and patience as well.

We are all looking for ways to save our money and DIY’ing is one of the best ways to do so.

More by this Author


Comments

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.


    Click to Rate This Article
    working