jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Will garlic deter a chipmonk that is eating our perennials?

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

I have lost a beautiful Rhododendron and my neighbor has lost dozens of her hostas. HELP!

1. MomsTreasureChest profile image75
      MomsTreasureChestposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good Luck!  We didn't have luck with garlic or cayenne, but moth balls seemed to do the trick.  Use sparingly though and not around pets or children!

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
        GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You just saved me allot of time and grief - thank you very much! I hadn't thought about moth balls - GREAT idea!

Off to the store for moth balls.

Thank you!

2. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Garlic didn't work for me when I was trying to protect my garden from rodents. I was so fed up with them that I mixed a paste of water and chili powder, cayenne and super hot sauce and literally hand painted the leaves of my plants. I don't think I've ever seen a rabbit go beserk before-- I felt rather bad watching it hop around in utter confusion and pain. tongue

But it worked. Obviously painting plants is really long and ridiculous, but if you mix the spices (forgo the hot sauce) with flour and dust your plants liberally, it should keep them off until the next rain.

Maybe. Or maybe you just have very determined chipmunks.

3. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

We have the chipmonks burrowing and eating the roots! Oh, my goodness! My neighbor has lost hostas and we are just beside ourselves.

I am trying to drown them with buckets of water but I don't hold out for that one.

So sad.

I think when I have time - ha! I will have to put chicken wire down around each plant.