jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Anyone ever seen this lamp before?

1. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 3 years ago

Capo Cellini Lamp. (ceramic hand painted)

I bought this most unusual lamp at a second hand store.  It had a funky shade with it, but I took it off to show the detail.  I haven't found any information on this, no pictures, no nothing.  I've found a few items from this maker, but no lamps. 

Is made in Italy, marked inside with a stamp and a number/letter combination.  Hand painted.  I've never seen a lamp like it and thought I would ask here.  I'm not an expert collector or anything, but felt drawn to it.  I was wondering if there were many made, as I've found nothing similar.

I tried to post the pics on Ebay forum, but for some reason, photobucket pics wouldn't post.  What do yall think? 

1. moonlake profile image89
      moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Try doing a search on Google images "Lamp from Italy with cherubs." lots of Italian lamps come up and some look pretty close to yours

2. chabias profile image61
    chabiasposted 3 years ago

That is a rather different and interesting looking lamp. I was able to find 1 Cellini lamp on ebay, which looks nothing like yours.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cellini … 7675.l2557

However, I also found a couple Capodimonte lamps that look fairly similar in design. Perhaps one of these sellers could help you find more information?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REGENCY … 416e4b9555

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Capodim … 5898cbe69f

donotfearposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you chabios!  I'll go look.......

3. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 3 years ago

I have found them.  It looks as if the sellers are calling them Capodimonte lamps.....which the name of my lamp begins with Capo but the word is capocellini.   It is definitely the same lamp.   I don't see any bidders for it, but it's obviously not well known or there is not many of them. 

Beautiful lamps!

4. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 3 years ago

When I was a kid, I used to read Reminisce magazine (don't ask why I read a magazine for old people...I was weird) and they used to have a section where you could take pics of antiques you found and send them in and they'd have an expert look at them and tell you what it was exactly and give you the price range for it. Just an idea as to how you could get more information about your lamp.

5. GA Anderson profile image87
    GA Andersonposted 3 years ago

I am certainly not an expert, but I will offer this thought....

I do not believe it is a capodimonte-style piece.
    I say style because that is what capopdimonte is - there is not an official capodimonte manufactury or company of artists. Here is the history: http://appletreedeals.com/capodimonte-p … n-history/ - but also because it does not really look like capodimonte porcelain either. (that link will also lead you to a capodimonte marks guide - to compare to any that might be on your lamp)

Maybe a little - but not much. Especially the quality of the work on the lamp.

Not picking on your lamp - but true capodimonte-style porcelain is much more finely detailed.

On the other hand - it probably is Italian vis' the Capo designation. Since the early 1900's there were/are 100's of local porcelain manufacturies.

Also, I have done quite a bit of research on Italian porcelain, (earlier), and I doubt you will find much on your piece - short of contacting an "expert" site for appraisal - at a cost usually.

But good luck, I know this wasn't very helpful.

GA....I do know for a fact it's an Italian lamp.  It has markings inside, hand painted telling me it's a Capocillini.  The picture loses the fine detail.  It looks nearly identical to other photos I've been seeing.  Nonetheless, it's a lovely work of art.