jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Disassembly of Traditional Brass Bath Mixer Tap/Shower Control

1. 62
    Padsposted 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to replace the washer in the taps/shower selector handle of a traditional brass combined tap and shower bath fitting. The unit comprises two front facing horizontal hot and cold taps with a central quadrant lever that selects tap or shower flow from the shower pipe which exits from the top of the unit.
    The washer in the quadrant lever has perished; I have been able to undo and extract the quadrant lever's barrel and removed the remains of the washer. However, I cannot see how to fit a replacement washer without access from above - and this is not possible unless, somehow, I can remove the joint (if there is one) where the shower pipe emanates from the top of the unit.

Grateful for any advice - other than buying a whole new unit!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Take a photo of your tap setup and go to a local plumbing/hardware store and show them at the counter. Tell them you want replacement washers and if you happen to know, the model type or number of the taps.

2. 62
    Padsposted 3 years ago

Done that, seen the video and got the tee shirt! No luck.
    Hence posting here for ideas.

The washer that perished was fitted to the TOP of the slotted piece shown in the centre here:

3. 62
    Padsposted 3 years ago

This shows a more detailed idea of what the problem involves.