jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Gas heater pilot light off. Should I be worried?

1. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 2 years ago

Tried to call the gas company, but couldn't get through to a real person yet. In the meantime, I'm looking online and I can't find anywhere that says this is a dangerous situation.

It's super windy, and I think it blew out the pilot light on my gas heater.

I have a carbon monoxide detector.

But still, I can't help worrying that I could be in danger from any gas that might escape.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If things are working correctly you are in no danger except getting cold.  The pilot light being off will prevent the gas from flowing, preventing any from escaping.  IF things are operating correctly. 

CO (Carbon Monoxide) isn't the problem; gas being released into the air is and YOU are the detector.  If you smell gas, get out immediately.  Don't phone the gas company, don't turn the light on to see better, get out.

I would either light the pilot or turn the gas off.  It can't hurt and could save your life.

janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks wilderness.

I don't know how to light it, or turn the gas off.

My boyfriend does, but won't be home for another 6 or 7 hours. I noticed it right after he left for work. I might have to just have him come home and do it.

Not meaning to be rude, but you desperately need to learn how to turn that off.  It is imperative that you know where and how to turn off ALL the things coming into your home, from gas to electric to water to anything else.

janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You're right, I probably should. I'll ask my bf to show me. I hadn't even really thought about it. Thanks for bringing that up. No, it wasn't rude at all.

I've got it easy; throw the main breaker and the house dies.  Nothing left - no water, no power, no gas, nothing.

Others, though, have more to do.  Break a water line in the wall somewhere and you will certainly wish you could have shut off the water before the entire house flooded.  Or when sparks begin flying but the breaker doesn't trip. 

So yeah, please do ask your bf.  It can pay enormous dividends one day.

2. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 2 years ago

I finally got hold of the gas company, they said it should be ok, there's a failsafe on the heater.

I'll still worry until it gets fixed though, just can't help it.

working