jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What do you do with your cut tree after the holidays?

1. cat on a soapbox profile image81
    cat on a soapboxposted 19 months ago

It's nearly April in Los Angeles, and I'm still seeing brown trees sitting at the curb. What do you do with yours?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
      Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months ago in reply to this

I have a live tree in a pot which I use every Christmas.
      I water it all year and it does not get bigger by much due to the of the size of the pot.  So, I drag it in every December.  I decorate it with forest creatures and birds.
      Every year, I have a free live tree which does not die day by day.
      - how come we don't grow our own Christmas trees?
      Mine has been six feet tall for about five years!
      PS Cat…
      I live in LA and I see them too. Its so silly. Why do they wait so long to take them to the curb? Are the trees in their homes all decorated with lights and tinsel, but quite dead, until April?

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 19 months ago in reply to this

An interesting idea - I may try that.  We use an artificial tree that is pretty, but I much prefer a natural one.

On the other hand we had a small but beautiful cedar at the end of our driveway I used to decorate each year.  A bit of a stretch to get to the top of it, but I did it.  Then I began to use a ladder as it grew.  Then a 10' pole with a hook on the end of it to place the light strings.  Then two poles coupled together.  Now, 20 years later, I don't even try - it is over 30' tall and nothing I can do will reach the top, plus it would take 100 strings of lights.  Still a beautiful tree, but not for Xmas any more.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
          Kathryn L Hillposted 19 months ago in reply to this

Adopt a six foot pine already in a pot and you will have a pine tree buddy for life. They love to come in for Christmas, but they get ancy to get back outdoors after a couple of weeks.
          (Yes, I intuit the pine's anciness, wilderness smile )

2. The Dirt Farmer profile image98
    The Dirt Farmerposted 19 months ago

Once when we were trying to change the foraging route of deer to keep them out of our garden, we added our old tree to a pile of brush at the edge of the woods, but usually I lop the branches off and arrange them over the flowerbeds. It looks neat and it protects our tender herbaceous perennials over the winter.