Solar powered homes in the North East USA

1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 16 months ago

I am curious about the effectiveness of solar powered homes. It has been a few years since these incentives were put in place. I would like to hear from people who have actually added solar power to their homes for at least 3 years. I would like to know their experience and how much they are actually saving vs. their investment over and above the tax incentives. What is the real break even point in years. Also, does the efficiency of the solar panels degrades with time? How does it affect the sale and value of your home? How does weather events affect your daily usage?
    You will be surprised to know how difficult it is to get these data.
    Most solar related website have some estimators that are based on best case scenario.

My personal experience with some solar cells (in other applications) is that it is not very reliable. Also, there is a limit to the duty cycle of charging and re-charging in the case where a battery backup is involved. For long term use, I would guess this would be a major issue.

Anyway, I would appreciate an honest assessment of where we are with solar power in 2015.
    Thanks for any input.