Property tax sales and the homeless.

1. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 4 weeks ago

I am not sure if I commented on this, but I am wondering how people feel about peoples homes being sold out from under them for back property taxes? My mom died in 2014 and owed around $2,000 in back taxes. The house recently was sold by the county for $18,000.00.

I am living in the house, and the new owner wants me out, and I have no place to go. I think this tax sale thing is a huge rip off. As the any state can sell your house, and make a huge profit. They do not care who gets hurt in the process. The state can sell you house over as little as $5 in taxes.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

It is reasonable to sell property where the owners fail to pay the taxes legally assessed against it.  It is NOT reasonable for the state to collect the entire sales price - they get only what they are owed, with the owner (or estate in your case) getting the rest.  Of course, what they are owed includes the unpaid taxes, fees or interest, collection fees and attorney fees if it goes to court.

Without some teeth in the property tax laws, no one pays property taxes and all the schools shut their doors.

2. blueheron profile image96
    blueheronposted 3 weeks ago

I personally think that no property taxes should be charged after the owner reaches the age of 65 or becomes disabled. Actually, I think there should be no property taxes at all on a person's primary or only residence. Property taxes should be charged only on second homes or acreages in excess of around 10 acres.

The biggest chunk of your property tax bill is for the public school system. The public school system should be shut down.

That said, it sounds like your mom's property taxes were only $600-$700 per year. This is not a terribly high property tax rate. It is equal to rent of about $60 per month. If your mom was unable to pay this, family should have helped her with it. I know this can be problematic, of course, but it is what it is. I can't figure out how this issue escaped your attention over a period of several years.

working