Anyone understand electrical wiring here?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 days ago

I have basic knowledge; I can re-wire an outlet, a lamp, splice and solder a connection, etc.  But some things are beyond my skill set, such as a current project I want to do.

Namely, how do you re-wire a switch from a 3-way switch back to a single pole switch?  We remodeled a bathroom from a "Jack-and-Jill" configuration, to a single door, and no longer need the switch on the side we closed off.  (We needed the wall space in the office more than we needed dual access to the master bath!)

Thanks!

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 days ago in reply to this

You will probably need to run new wire from the switch to the light.  Typically, one three way has incoming power from the breaker and the other switch goes to the light, with one cable between them.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 days ago in reply to this

Oh, goody--an attic crawl!  sad

Thanks, wilderness... wink

(And while I'm up there, I may as well get on the other project; namely, re-wiring a fan/light combo so they are separately switched, instead of having to have the lights on if I just want the fan....either that, or make the fan like the one in the dining room, so it can be turned on by its pull-chain, independent of the wall switch being turned on....)
        One project always seems to lead to another...  lol

working