jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

First it was my carrots; now it's the onions!

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 weeks ago

NOW What??!!

These onions are 'backing up' out of the soil, and they are nowhere near harvesting size!  The largest is perhaps an inch in diameter.

They are not 'pearl' onions, but sweet visalia onions...

And again, we have nice, soft, sandy soil..also--all the tops are laid over; do onions need to be staked???

I'm perplexed.
    https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13621669_f1024.jpg

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Have you had a meteor strike in your garden?  Perhaps a radioactive one?  Have aliens dusted your garden with U235 and the onions grew little feet to push them up with? 

Sorry, Dzy - couldn't resist.  But you don't want my help - my thumb is as black as the Ace of Spades and it kills any plant (except a weed) just to see it.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

lol  Very funny!  And most original, I must say.  Could it be, by chance, that old 'Purple People Eater?' lol

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Could be, could be!  It is hiding under the garden, just waiting to EAT YOU, and the onions are in the way.

2. RTalloni profile image85
    RTalloniposted 3 weeks ago

Maybe you would want to call your local county extension office/agent for their advice.  if it is an unusual phenomena or if it is normal because of certain conditions let us know.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Good idea; our county should have such an office, as its roots are agrarian.

(its roots...hahaha...pun unintended... ) lol

working