jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

light efficient bulbls

1. 60
    thewholeabsposted 6 years ago

Does efficient light bulbls pose any danger to human's health?

2. ilmdamaily profile image93
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

Unless you break them open and inhale the gas out of them. Like 1000 of them. In a row.

But hey, I don't know what you're into...;-)

3. 60
    patan13posted 6 years ago

that's funny.I don't  think it would actually be dangerous but would make you happy for a week instead.

4. Arthur Fontes profile image90
    Arthur Fontesposted 6 years ago

Well they contain Mercury that even in small amounts could be harmful to people children or animals.

So besides containing Toxic materiels Al Gore And OBama both want you to use them in YOUR home.

5. blark profile image80
    blarkposted 6 years ago

The light bulbs containing mercury being referred to here are compact fluorescent light bulbs, and ilmdamaily provides a more accurate, albeit hyperbolic comment than Aruthur Fontes.

The amount of mercury in CFL is around 4mg to 5mg.  That amount by itself is not toxic to anyone.  Nonetheless, the problem with mercury is that it is a cumulative toxin; that means it does not dissipate or go away with time.

Still, compare 5mg to the amount of mercury that was in old mercury thermometers in nearly every home.  Those old thermometers contained on average 500mg of mercury, more than 100 times the amount in a compact fluorescent light bulb.

That's why ilmdamaily isn't all that far off the mark when he mentions breaking 1,000 bulbs all at once and bathing in the mercury dust; it would take a great many CFLs breaking at the same time to pose any immediate risk to anyone.

Now, if you're referring to LED light bulbs, they are completely innocuous and contain no toxic materials; thus, they are completely harmless to humans.  Unless of course someone uses an especially large LED light bulb as a bludgeon.  In that case I would repeat what ilmdamaily said: "But hey, I don't know what you're into..."

1. kmackey32 profile image82
      kmackey32posted 6 years ago in reply to this

6. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 6 years ago

I think the danger to health depends on the accuracy of the person throwing them at you..

1. blark profile image80
      blarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ha!  Well played, LeanMan.

7. KennethDurkin profile image61
    KennethDurkinposted 6 years ago

See this: http://www.energy.gs/2007/05/cfl-mercury-myths.html

A standard incandescent lightbulb will cause way more mercury to be released into the atmosphere over its lifetime than a CFL.

8. Beth100 profile image82
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Ugh, just let 'em all sit in the dark like mushrooms.....  lol