Where to buy a house in the USA?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. heohongtham profile image60
    heohongthamposted 13 years ago

Could you please recommend me where to buy a house there? Good weather(not too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter) , nice lanscape, peaceful

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

West Virginia. Don't come here to knockemstiff.

2. jazevox profile image60
      jazevoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you dont want too hot, you dont want southern and northern California, Texas, or Arizona

if you dont want too cold, you dont want states in the northern USA, near Canada, the nearer you are to Canada, the colder it is.

if you like almost tropical climate, consider southern USA like Florida, Alabama, North/South Carolina

these are just suggestions though basing on my reading and what i know

1. Lily Rose profile image84
        Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree - Southern California would be perfect - San Diego really has the best climate and it's not too hot in the summer, nor too cold in the winter.

On the other hand, Florida is very hot in the summer, yet not too cold in the winter.

Having lived in both places I can definitely say that San Diego has the better climate.

3. Propsol profile image59
      Propsolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really like southern Utah. A bit on the desert side but beautiful!!!

4. sirrot profile image61
      sirrotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are looking for nirvana!  But I would suggest Portland, Oregon is you want beautiful, San Diego if you want perfect weather, and Redding CA falls somewhere in between.  Good Luck!

b

<no self-promoting links>

5. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Also, if you like people and living as part of a multigenerational community, states like Oregon and California have cohousing communities to buy into.

6. ROMANCER OF LIFE profile image61
      ROMANCER OF LIFEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kaneohe, Hawaii! Not too hot and not to cold. Beautiful place to live.

7. Abecedarian profile image79
      Abecedarianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Tennessee is a beautiful place. Texas is better financially because there is no state tax. Homes are less expensive and jobs are more readily available, but it's HOT here in the summer. It takes getting use to, but you know when your use to it, 100 is warm, 80 is cool and the 60's is downright cold.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

..i'm canadian...but i've travelled extensively through the US...i keep being drawn back to Arizona and Utah - beautiful states...as matter of fact - all of the states are beautiful...most states are hot in the summer...in parts of Arizona - the winters are not harsh...travelled through Southern Arizona on my motorcycle in the winter - it was great!...i must do that again soon...guess it depends on the activities you enjoy to!

1. sirrot profile image61
      sirrotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We live in Arizona in the winter...people that live there year around tend to visit the White Mountains in northern Arizona to cool off.  In Tucson the Catalina Mountains provide a wonderful respite with a short drive.

b

<no self-promoting links>

2. Abecedarian profile image79
      Abecedarianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a great uncle who winters in Arizona and spend the rest of the year in Oregon. I've been through Arizona in the summer so hot that my tennis shoes started to melt to the pavement while I was getting gas.

3. profile image53
    patan13posted 13 years ago

There are a lot of nice places around the US so it all depends on what you are looking for. Coast? Mountain? Dry? Humid? City? Country? and there are more.
    Be a little more precise please so that we can help.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

Daniel Carter has a nice one on the market - check out his hub...the area is beautiful and close to many amazing sites.

5. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 13 years ago

Arizona Texas Colorado

1. profile image53
      erinraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hawaii?

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

NOT in Massachusetts, for any number of reasons.  A lot of people in Massachusetts would leave if they didn't have family living here.  Massachusetts is an expensive, disgusting, poorly run, little state; and "mediocrity", "incompetence", and "corruption" pretty much sum it up.  On top of all that, it's one of the most expensive states to live in, so people spend/pay more for all the "wonderfulness" of this state.  Oh - throw in an out-of-control, arrogant, government that disregards the US Constitution, as if it never existed.   

Other than that, I have no strong opinions on this disgusting, disgusting, little state.    lol  (I added the laugh for my last remark here.  I'm dead serious about the rest of it.)

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

how come you put up with it then?

7. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

That definitely depends on your definition of too hot/too cold. Right now Wyoming is a pretty good place to buy because property prices and taxes are low, unemployment rates are considerably lower than in other states, no state income taxes, cost of living is one of the cheapest, etc...however, there's a reason they try so hard to attract people here. Most of the state is semi-arid desert, temps range in the 80s and 90s all summer with the occasional jumps, around 20 to -10 in the winter with the occasional drop. There is very little spring or fall, though we LOVE those when they show up.

8. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

To repeat what was said above:  The further north, or closer to Canada, will be colder in the winter.  The further south, or closer to Mexico, the hotter/warmer all year long, and a lack of snow during the winter.

I've always wanted to live in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado or (southern) Wyoming.  The photos I've seen show beautiful scenery, the desert states would have no snow during winter, and I believe all these states would have a drier climate which would bring less humidity.

Mid-US states, where I wouldn't mind living, would be Nebraska, Kansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Missouri or Arkansas.  I believe these states would have mild winters and are fairly close to centrally located.

9. profile image53
    erinraposted 13 years ago
  10. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

You need to provide a lot more information to get an answer out of me, start by answering these questions:

1. What is your budget?
    2. How many bedrooms will you require?
    3. Do you require a home near to an international airport?
    4. Do you mind clearing snow off of your drive in the winter?
    5. Do you have children?
    6. Do you intend to live in this home permanently or use it as a holiday home?
    7. Quiet, loud, or a bit of both?
    8. Any particular hobbies that you like to pursue? e.g. surfing?

There are 50 states in America, and every one will have desirable locations. Not all be able to offer a property at a price to suit both your budget and your aspirations, assuming that your budget is relatively modest.

I would love to live in Las Vegas, New York, or Los Angeles. All great in principle but I don't want to live in a studio flat, and preferably not within a neighbourhood controlled by low level crack dealers and gang wars. The result is a completely unviable dream.

If I wanted a good quality of life, with a slow pace, but close enough to the action, with 3 bedrooms, 2 garages, a swimming pool, somewhere to surf, and zero chance of having to clear snow from my drive, then I would choose Florida.

Florida would perhaps be too hot for you though?

11. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Last night one of my clients stated that home prices were at this time at a historical low in the US - all over.

I have to disagree - wait until the children are back in school - make an offer after September and before Christmas.

Do pick the perfect climate and enjoy!

Best wishes to you!

12. profile image56
    gmrwebteamposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I also prefer for California Texas, or Arizona. But before buying a house you should know about your home contractor. Most likely you will need to hire professional home contractors. Before doing it, get facts along with fair and balanced ratings from other home owners.

Thanks

13. MartaWalsh profile image59
    MartaWalshposted 13 years ago

Who can beat sunny North Scottsdale!

14. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I suggest Arkansas. Not only is housing very, very affordable, but it's within 1-12 hours of almost anything:

Ozark Mountains in the NW.
    Drive south to the Gulf in 1 day.
    Diamond Dig site at Murfreesboro.
      Historic Old Washington & many other historical places.
    Great year-round temperatures....the further north you go, the  less humid it will be in hot months.

Real estate is cheap. It is a beautiful state with flat lands, to rolling hills, to mountains.  Plenty of fishing & sports activities everywhere. 

Hot Springs!

Look it up!

15. profile image57
    aalia448posted 11 years ago

According to me, Florida is the best place if weather is taken as a significant factor .In Florida,the Orlando is a cool place by the means of weather. This place is also very nice and peaceful. so you should move to Florida' s Orlando area.

16. angelina12 profile image58
    angelina12posted 11 years ago

I m agree with aalia448, nice suggetions

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)