jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Preserving peppers

1. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago

Hi veggie gardeners!

This year I have bumper crops of habanero and jalepeno peppers. I freeze the bell peppers, but don't like the idea of freezing the habanero or jalepenos.
      Has anyone sundried these or had good luck packing them in oils to store in the fridge? We usually add the peppers to salsa or I sautee them as my hubby likes the hot stuff.
      Thanks smile

1. Patsybell profile image88
      Patsybellposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One of the best ways to store hot peppers is in vinegar. That way you have a flavorful vinegar and peppers to add to you salsa or chili recipes. It is a much safer food preservation technique than storing in oil.
      And hot peppers can be stuffed with cheese, then frozen, Take the frozen peppers out of the freezer, roll in egg, then flour or dip in batter to make pepper poppers that are so popular right now. Freezing first will help keep the cheese in the pepper while deep frying.

Your local extenion center has information and recipes to safely preserve peppers.

2. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

Ive roasted them in the oven and then froze them, but I have not tried eating them after yet, so I dont know if it worked. I like to make salsa myself. Im going to try and dry some too. I bet you could make a bunch of cornbread and freeze that too.

3. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago

Let me know if it works! I was thinking of roasting them, then packing oil for fridge storage. Then they would be easy for how i use them. I may just try it anyhoo smile

4. Louis Taylor profile image60
    Louis Taylorposted 6 years ago

Easiest is to dry them, that way you can store for a long time. And then just drop it in a little oil before you wanna use them.