jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Squash recommendations needed

1. Louis Taylor profile image60
    Louis Taylorposted 6 years ago

Hi again,

Mad about suashes at the moment. Grew spaghetti squash first time and it is amazing.
    Any other great ones out there, what is your favourite fellow gardeners?
    So many of them, dont know what to try next year.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Zuchinni is always a winner-- one or two plants is enough. I've always wanted to plant Acorn Squash-- but haven't yet. It is easy to microwave, pierced and whole-- then cut, scoop seeds and pulp out, add a little butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

2. georgepattenson profile image60
      georgepattensonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Zuchinni is good, but for me, it will always be Pumpkin with Butternut soup.  And when making the soup, don't forget the coriander leaves and the 'must have' ingredient.... a pot of single cream. MMMmmmmmmmmm!!

3. Patsybell profile image89
      Patsybellposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Try heirlooms, they are old fashioned squash varieties. The reason they are still around is because the are flavorful and good producers. I like acorn squash, because it is a good long keeper. Butterbut squash will also keep for a long time, should you get a bumper crop. Try a couple of different kinds of zuchini and see which you like better and which does best in tou part of the country,

4. IdeaMorphist profile image80
      IdeaMorphistposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I enjoy acorn squash baked in the oven after being halved and covered with tin foil. I always melt some butter in it with brown sugar when Im ready to eat it

1. timorous profile image92
        timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I sprinkle a bit of nutmeg along with the brown sugar.

2. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 6 years ago

I love zucchini, but as Rochelle said, one or two plants is enough. Otherwise the stuff will start threatening world domination!

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One or two isn't enough for me!   We had about 10 plants and were deluged with zucchini for quite some time!   But I froze bag after bag of it to make zucchini bread and also to fry this winter.