Favorite mulch?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

So, we've got some bulbs and plants that do better when mulched in the winter, and while I mostly use leaves for this, I've read that using straw can work too.

Does anyone have any experience where they think straw really does work better for mulching plants in the winter?  I'd love to hear what people think before I haul off to the feed store and get a hay bale.

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Straw and hay are different -

I think if you mulch with hay you will get 'grassy type weeds', which is why they use straw on strawberry beds - straw does not contain seeds, hay probably will. Hope that helps.

3. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

Ive used old no good hay from my hay loft for mulch, and yes..it makes for a lot of weeds!!!

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Yes - I used it on my vegetable patch, as I had it to hand and did not want to spend out on straw, and I have a very weedy strawberry bed now.

5. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

In places that you walk past, try cocoa mulch.  It is beautiful and the scent is heavenly - like walking past a chocolate pot of melting sugar.

It is expensive but wonderful!

1. GmaGoldie profile image80
      GmaGoldieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops, not for winter - sorry....

For winter, mushroom compost - it adds nutrients and you can dig it in in the spring.

6. bookblog profile image61
    bookblogposted 13 years ago

Pea Hay is a great mulch.  Water can penetrate the mulch and reach the soil.  It also breaks down to provide valuable nutrients for the soil.

Some mulches look wonderful but actually absorb the water before it reaches the soil and the soil can be left quite dry.
    Before adding mulch to a garden bed, treat the soil with a water absorption product. 

This is particularly necessary in areas where soil repels water, that is the water runs off the soil and doesn't soak in. 

Lupin mulch is another one that I like, full of nutrients and makes the garden look loved.

7. agvulpes profile image85
    agvulpesposted 13 years ago

If you know someone with a horse stable, ask them if you can have the old straw with the horse poo. It is not only a great mulch it feeds the plants as well :-)

8. naturegirl7 profile image85
    naturegirl7posted 13 years ago

We like to use pine needles and leaves.  They are both free and sustainable and do a good job in most garden settings.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Malaluca mulch is great and lasts for years! It's called Florimulch but there is only one place that sells it down in south florida. I don't use cypress or pine bark because these are our local trees. Why cut them down? Malaluca, on the other hand, is invasive and they are constantly trying to get rid of it anyways. It's a pretty mulch and it doesn't nest termites. It's awesome!

I use leaves that people leave by the curve and add the mulch over it a month before doing all the planting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)