jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Favorite mulch?

1. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

So, we've got some bulbs and plants that do better when mulched in the winter, and while I mostly use leaves for this, I've read that using straw can work too.

Does anyone have any experience where they think straw really does work better for mulching plants in the winter?  I'd love to hear what people think before I haul off to the feed store and get a hay bale.

2. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Straw and hay are different -

I think if you mulch with hay you will get 'grassy type weeds', which is why they use straw on strawberry beds - straw does not contain seeds, hay probably will. Hope that helps.

3. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago

Ive used old no good hay from my hay loft for mulch, and yes..it makes for a lot of weeds!!!

4. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Yes - I used it on my vegetable patch, as I had it to hand and did not want to spend out on straw, and I have a very weedy strawberry bed now.

5. GmaGoldie profile image87
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

In places that you walk past, try cocoa mulch.  It is beautiful and the scent is heavenly - like walking past a chocolate pot of melting sugar.

It is expensive but wonderful!

1. GmaGoldie profile image87
      GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oops, not for winter - sorry....

For winter, mushroom compost - it adds nutrients and you can dig it in in the spring.

6. bookblog profile image59
    bookblogposted 5 years ago

Pea Hay is a great mulch.  Water can penetrate the mulch and reach the soil.  It also breaks down to provide valuable nutrients for the soil.

Some mulches look wonderful but actually absorb the water before it reaches the soil and the soil can be left quite dry.
    Before adding mulch to a garden bed, treat the soil with a water absorption product. 

This is particularly necessary in areas where soil repels water, that is the water runs off the soil and doesn't soak in. 

Lupin mulch is another one that I like, full of nutrients and makes the garden look loved.

7. agvulpes profile image88
    agvulpesposted 5 years ago

If you know someone with a horse stable, ask them if you can have the old straw with the horse poo. It is not only a great mulch it feeds the plants as well :-)

8. naturegirl7 profile image90
    naturegirl7posted 5 years ago

We like to use pine needles and leaves.  They are both free and sustainable and do a good job in most garden settings.

9. 0
    klarawieckposted 5 years ago

Malaluca mulch is great and lasts for years! It's called Florimulch but there is only one place that sells it down in south florida. I don't use cypress or pine bark because these are our local trees. Why cut them down? Malaluca, on the other hand, is invasive and they are constantly trying to get rid of it anyways. It's a pretty mulch and it doesn't nest termites. It's awesome!

I use leaves that people leave by the curve and add the mulch over it a month before doing all the planting.