jump to last post 1-22 of 22 discussions (42 posts)

Name your most favorite plants??

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
    Ultimate Hubberposted 5 years ago

Gardening is my current hobby and its becoming a passion. So I want to know what plants some other hubbers love?

1. Donna Janelle profile image83
      Donna Janelleposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have a bamboo plant inside my house (it's not a real bamboo - it stays about 24 inches tall smile ) and I love it! I don't have much of a green thumb, and this plant is extremely hardy and doesn't have to be watered every day.

1. 59
        roykenedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

mine are geraniums, think they look so pretty and they flower all year if you bring them indoors in the winter x.
        http://zetaclearsite.net/what-are-the-b … zetaclear/

2. Mark Ewbie profile image84
      Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Robert Plant. No?

Ok then, Keep The Aspidistra Flying. George Orwell.  Failed dreams.

3. chspublish profile image65
      chspublishposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had two 'Sweet Banana' pepper plants for two seasons. A very unusual thing for the climate i live in which can be quite cold and damp. They were inside on a windowsill for the wiinter last year and they kept producing little peppers. I left them in the green housefor the summer and unfortunately a heavy frost got to them. But I have saved many seeds and look forward to next year's lot.
      I also have a small  fig tree - the common Brown Turkey. It too survived a very cold winter and produced beautiful sweet figs this year. Great plant!

4. 0
      withypitts-dahliaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

5. 0
      manumposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am a part-time gardener so my favourite plants are ones I can water with a watering can, and they are seasonal blooms, especially carnations and marigolds. I also like to brood over rescue operations - plants that could have been dead if the new soil weren't so great, or they were sun blasted or pot cloistered.

6. 60
      charlesdeanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My favorite plant is tulsi. It has several healing properties....
      http://lifechangingthings.com/health/so … nches-now/

2. Fluffymetal profile image77
    Fluffymetalposted 5 years ago

1. Reality Bytes profile image92
      Reality Bytesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

2. Mikeydoes profile image79
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

NO BRAINER!!!

3. flogreen profile image60
      flogreenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Saw that coming from a mile away.  Still funny though smile

I am a huge fan of edible landscapes, and I love spicy food as well.  These two passions make my fave the habanero pepper plant.  It gets so full and green, then little peppers start to show up like little presents!  I love it!

3. lorlie6 profile image86
    lorlie6posted 5 years ago

Nicotania!  It's a lovely flower-really!

Ultimate Hubberposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just checked some of the images. The flowers seem to be really beautiful but the plant don't. sad

1. IzzyM profile image84
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nicotiana is a bit straggly when grown, but the scent of the flowers is absolutely beautiful. I'm with Lorlie, its a wonderful plant. Try it in a greenhouse or conservatory where you can keep the scent in the house. Its amazing.

1. jetta17 profile image61
          jetta17posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Definately agree that Nicotiana is a bit straggly when grown. I just grew a small plant indoors and the flowers smelt wonderful in my room!

4. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I'd also highly recommend a plant called cestrum nocturnum. Like Nicoriana, its scent is powerful and only released in the evenings.It is quite possibly the most highly scented plant in the world as you can smell its fragrance from something like 50 yards away.

5. kids-toy-box profile image59
    kids-toy-boxposted 5 years ago

I've started a blacony garden and have a few herbs -basil and corriander--some chilli--and tomatoes too in little pots. About houseplants I have Geraniums-hydrangeas-Roses and Chrysanthemums all growing in pots on the balcony and I sometimes place them indoors when they are in bloom-though the roses are the last survivors in the approaching winter weather. I have covered some up--hoping they survive the winter.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

..indoors - cactus and succulents - and the bigger the better...
    ...outdoors - where i live some herbs grow all year round and turn into nice bushes like sage and rosemary in particular..i trim the rosemary into different shapes when i'm inspired...and can't forget lavender....i like different foliage - shapes and colours...so planted artichoke to add some variety to the mix.  my garden basically grows on it its own - flowers are perennials and most are drought tolerant....love tall decorative grasses too...they sound nice swaying in the breeze at night...

7. Green Lotus profile image59
    Green Lotusposted 5 years ago

Ahh...now it depends on the season. This fall I'm in love with my amsonia which turns into a fluffy mass of brilliant yellow.

1. 0
      Twenty One Daysposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Never heard of this, so I looked it up.
      Resembles --to me-- an (underwater) coral plant, only fuzzier.

8. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 5 years ago

I have lots of favorites!

Non-native: hosta, Miscanthus sinensis "Morning Light", Korean Spice viburnum, bearded and japanese iris, ponderosa pine (native to the western part of my state, but won't even grow in the eastern, alas), bleeding heart

I am not really a huge rose fan in general - I like them, but I'm not obsessed with them like a lot of people are - but I'm also developing a real soft spot for my knockout roses, which took hold in the most dreadful heavy clay/subsoil dirt imaginable in my front yard and bloom their hearts out from June to October with no watering, no fertilizer, no chemicals, and only one pruning a year.

Native: burr oak (oaks in general, really), serviceberry, ohio spiderwort, purple coneflower, bee balm, cupplant, columbine, dogwood, most native prairie grasses

1. kids-toy-box profile image59
      kids-toy-boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah..oak trees-makes me wish I lived on the ground floor.-Roses are ok-seem to be one of the few plants that can grw well on the balcony.

9. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I absolutely adore hydrangeas. smile

10. Ren Chin profile image87
    Ren Chinposted 5 years ago

11. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 5 years ago

You can't beat Oriental Lillies for beautiful, large, intricate flowers, and a lovely smell.  See my 'beautiful garden' hub and see for yourself.

For indoors, I've had a Ficus Benjamina for about 12 years.  I grew it from a small cutting I took from my mom's dying ficus.  This one is now about 4 feet tall and very healthy year round.  I put it outside in a semi-shaded area all summer.

12. Silva Hayes profile image96
    Silva Hayesposted 5 years ago

My favorite indoor plant is a ZZ plant.  Amazing.  Outdoors, I have lime trees, aloe vera plants, white antique iris, and Greg's Salvia which I really like because it's hardy, the deer won't eat it, and the hummingbirds love it.  Next I would like to plant a fig tree and an olive tree.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've had two baby olive trees come up from the stones of olives served to me in a tapas bar!
      Don't know why I bother when my house is surrounded by olive trees! lol

13. home witch profile image90
    home witchposted 5 years ago

I love roses and have some beautiful climbing rose plants growing in my back yard. I went to a proper rose grower who has won awards in Britain for their roses and bought some true beauties. They are hardy, and easy to look after, just water in summer and mulch and feed with slow release plant food. I also adore lavender, and have a few varieties as well as mint, lemon balm and other herbs. Strawberries grow easily too. You see, I don't have a garden, only a back yard that's been cemented over, so I need plants I can grow easily in containers.
    Hmm... inside our home I've got aloevera and other plants as well like Peace lilies and orchids which grow well inside the home.

14. Phil The Gain profile image71
    Phil The Gainposted 5 years ago

Legal Medical Marijuana

15. Photography7777 profile image60
    Photography7777posted 5 years ago

White Mums. They grow tall and wide in Florida and stay around for a long time.
    Also like Yellow Gerbera Daisies, they are gorgeous!

16. chspublish profile image65
    chspublishposted 5 years ago

This may be out of date, but my favorite all time plant is the fig tree - especially the common fig tree - ficus carica. It's of particular interest to me because of the climate in which I live.
    Figs say 'exotic' to me and I like nothing better thatn eating a fresh fig from my own tree.
    It's very hardy and can withstand very cold subzero temperatures without much damage. It grows vigorously in the summer time and its large green leaves are very exciting to watch as they unfold from the small green tips on the branches.
    I wish I lived on a fig palntation - now that would be heaven. Who knows maybe some day!

17. Onusonus profile image87
    Onusonusposted 5 years ago

Artichoke, best plant ever.

18. L a d y f a c e profile image84
    L a d y f a c eposted 5 years ago

Of all the plants I currently have in my house, my favourites are the madagascar dragon tree, the crown of thorns, and this plant that no one seems to be able to identify. Not even my aunts! It's not in any of my books. It's light green, has stalks that grow and separate and curl and twist a bit, and they have these little tiny cute green leaves coming off them with the occasional little curly tendril. I freakin love it. I wish I knew what it was!

1. timorous profile image92
      timorousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you can take a good picture of it, and post it here, maybe we could have a best guess.  Someone here just might know. smile

19. naturegirl7 profile image91
    naturegirl7posted 5 years ago

Gosh, like some others, I like a wide variety of plants.  To narrow it down, I would say sustainable plants like fruit trees and shrubs, vegetables, herbs and native perennials.

My most favorite include Satsuma (Mandarin Orange) trees, Huckleberry and Blueberry (Vaccinium spp.) bushes and culinary herbs like basil, lemon balm and mints.

20. thewayeyeseeit profile image84
    thewayeyeseeitposted 5 years ago

Great post! There are so many plants listed that I have never heard of.
    It turns out I don't have a green thumb, so it's difficult to get sustainable plants. But I have had some success with Zinnias. I thought they were annuals, but they come up for me every year and flourish without my help. The great thing about them is that they attract butterflies like crazy, which is great for my passion for photography.

No doubt, I have also learned about many new plants from this thread!

21. IN2Deep profile image73
    IN2Deepposted 5 years ago

I Love to garden-so I am naturally thinking your talking outdoors-I like to grow what I can use(cut flowers),enjoy and attract with my absolute favorite is 'Crocosmia Lucifer" this is a perennial in the Iris family. Available in fiery red,orange,apricot and yellow-Hummingbirds love it-it is excellent cut and just beautiful to look at. I also love for cutting Asters-any variety,Calendula-potted marigolds,Larkspur-another hummer fav,(Delphinium-Hummers/butterflies also love),Nigellia-persian jewel,Rudbeckia-Goldstrum,Oriential lillies are awesome and very fragrant,Sweet Peas,baby's breath,Hybrid tea Roses,celosia,amaranthus,dusty miller.I can go on and on but these are some of my must haves.Happy Gardening!

1. iamalegend profile image74
      iamalegendposted 5 years ago in reply to this

strobilanthus Kunthians( neelakkurunji) - The plant which is flowering once in 12 years.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image79

Yea outdoors, and thanks for the helpful reply.

22. Puzzlemaker profile image80
    Puzzlemakerposted 5 years ago

Milkweed (for Monarch butterflies) and