jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

To choose a flat smooth surface or a 3D textured effect for ceilings

1. Inspired to write profile image66
    Inspired to writeposted 5 years ago

Which is the most popular choice for ceilings & walls, a flat smooth surface or a textured effect? Thanks Dale

1. livewithrichard profile image86
      livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I work with a lot of architects and contractors and I know that homeowners, at least around here in Chicago, prefer a smooth surface ceiling. 

Textured ceilings are good for hiding imperfections but are very hard to repaint, for the do it yourself type.

2. Teddletonmr profile image83
      Teddletonmrposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In my humble opinion a 3-D texture on the ceiling, and smooth drywall finishes for walls are the best way to go.

2. Inspired to write profile image66
    Inspired to writeposted 5 years ago

Thanks for your opinions guys

3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 5 years ago

knock down smooth ceiling, except in the formal areas.  Then go with patterned texture designs.  Never popcorn, yuck.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

It is a matter of personal taste and cost but can vary widely around the country.

In my area nearly everything is textured ceilings and walls, but used to be just ceilings.  A few ceilings were done in patterns in the past (I've seen nothing recently) but most were popcorn of some type, sprayed on instead of being trowelled.

Cost is a factor - the art of producing a smooth wall is dying out in the drywall industry.  It is difficult and time consuming to make a smooth wall, and even the most perfect job will still have some drywall joints raised higher than the surrounding surface.  The texture hides these imperfections and is quick and cheap to apply.

Personally, I dislike wall texture, but like the ceiling patterned appearance.  As has been pointed out, texture is difficult to match when repairs are made.