jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

Any Beekeepers here?

1. tritrain profile image76
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

Do you have any tips or resources to share?

I am hoping to move and buy some land for vegetables and would like to have bees.  Maybe, eventually, start selling the honey.

1. purplepaula profile image59
      purplepaulaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi tritrain,
      If you go to http://beginnersguidetobeekeeping.com you will find a free ebook.- Beekeeping; Learn how to keep bees successfully.  It is being sold for $47 dollars elsewhere, but free on the above site.

Regards
      paula

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...no...an acquaintenance has bees in an urban setting...i find beekeeping quite  interesting actually...good luck!

tritrainposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, thank you for replying!  big_smile

My girlfriend had bees in a small town, yet urban part of it.  The neighbors complained.

I'm very hopeful of where we plan on moving.  Decorah Iowa.  big_smile

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...too bad, i can't spell....anyway...so why the complaints...where i live (urban) there are several folks keeping bees.  I do recall reading about a swarm moving into the neighbour's place...ha ha ha...it was harmless; no one was stung...it was very different for the neighbours to see such numbers hanging out on their property for a day or two - most of us don't see that everyday...that's all...too bad you have to move...

That's the funny thing about them.

Some urban areas are embracing beekeeping, while others are firmly against it.

Sort of like rainwater harvesting.  Some love the idea, others think its like stealing.

4. Hugh Williamson profile image88
    Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago

My brother keeps a few hives. It's more complicated than most people think - disease prevention and overwintering are challenges.

There are many short courses offered in many places and that would be your best source of info.

Good luck. Bee safe. (sorry)

Ha!

My girlfriend's bees overwintered and got diarrhea.  Poor little guys.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image88
        Hugh Williamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That sorta gives new meaning to the phrase "busy as a bee"

5. ThomasE profile image82
    ThomasEposted 6 years ago

I would like to keep bees, but I can't get the family to agree, they are afraid of the little blighters.

6. lorlie6 profile image87
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

I used to keep honeybees when I lived just outside of Birmingham, Alabama.  YEARS ago!  As Hugh says, there are many issues when tending bees, but if I recall correctly, the only time my bees were 'en masse' was when I went to rob the hives.
    But, armed with my smoker, they were wonderfully obedient and not at all intimidating.  Just happily high. smile
    All the best!

Thanks for the tip!

Happy Bees = a Happy Bee Keeper

7. Pearldiver profile image88
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

No... Not any more! The Hive is empty!

We used to have about 6 of them here before, but some Queen walked into the forums, wriggled her bum and they all buzzed off together sad

But you know what? hmm

I reckon it was really a Drone!! yikes

The size 12 feet was a sure give away! smile

Oh Well... I'm sure by now they have worked out if she had a Stinger or not big_smile

8. profile image71
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

I have a hive to help pollinate my fruit trees and berries.
    They don't require a lot of work but when they need attention, they need attention.
    Treat the hive spring and fall.
    Make sure you are putting on supers just before it looks like you need to, and harvest the honey by Sept.
    Most states have an extension service where you can get the information you need.  The state honey association can hook you up with nearby beekeepers that will be more than happy to help you out.
    Good luck!  It is fun, educational, and fascinating, as well as necessary for propogation of our food supply.

Thank you so much for the advice!  Much appreciated.  smile

2. jetta17 profile image59
      jetta17posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nice Information. Bee's are very much needed for pollination of countless vegetable crops and herbs. Sadly, not enough people are keeping bees. Its nice to see interest from other hubbers!

9. Erin Eisenman profile image60
    Erin Eisenmanposted 6 years ago

We have bees...this is our second year.  Growing up my dad kept bees and I also enjoyed it.  Our neighbors were grateful last year because their flowers bloomed so much more than normal because of our bees.  But we live in a semi-rural area.  Good luck!  You'll enjoy doing it!  And the honey....oh so good!

working